Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Cb Radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by thebiggreen, June 10, 2007.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. L4CX

L4CX Active Member

City, State:
    East Lansing, MI
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    96 XLT
    Sorry for not responding too much. I've been at camp and have no access to a computer. I know it wouldn't fry the radio all the time, but there is a chance. You can tune a FiberGlass antenna by triming the wire that is wound around the top. Some firestick antennas have a screw at the top that you screw up or down. That's if they are top loaded. If it's too short your pretty much screwed. You could always add a quick dissconnect to add length.....Or a spring. I wouldn't suggest a Spring. They mess up things from what I understand. Oh, BTW, My antenna isn't a firestick it's some one I picked up at a truck stop in Lansing. That web site is very helpful.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Mkrucejr

Mkrucejr Active Member

City, State:
    South Jersey
    '96 Sport 4x4
    Wow....CB talk...I haven't had a CB in 10 yrs. I had the Ultimate hookup (and true red neck fashion) I had a 85 tbird, with a 102inch antenna ON THE ROOF. I also had a 250watt amp. geez, those were the days. I don't know if I am ready for another CB, yet.

4. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    the biggreen,

How's this go'n ?

All installed and tuned ?

5. thebiggreen

thebiggreen New Member

City, State:
    Roanoke, Va
    '93 Sport
    not yet, not im just waiting to get the mounting kit and coax, but i know exactly where everything is going, when its all done, ill let everyone know and post lots of pics. thanks for checking in though.

peace

6. thebiggreen

thebiggreen New Member

City, State:
    Roanoke, Va
    '93 Sport
    finally, i got everything in for christmas, and it was installed today. i will be tuning it soon, prolly monday, and i will be taking pictures of the finished product and posting them for all to see, its been a long time coming, but it was well worth it. later yall

7. storlied

storlied Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
    Would it be illegal to run 2 antenna's? Probably not hm?

My question is, with 2 antennas .. is the power split 50/50? I was told if I did this with a cb, I would get a 50% power loss when transmitting? Which didn't exactly make too much sense, but he knew quite a bit..

8. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Illegal? No, I don't think so. As far as the physics of two antennas, that's beyond my knowledge. There is a scientific distance between the two antennas for most efficient use. Too close together and they only give you symmetry on your truck, and *may* give you worse results than a single antenna.

9. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge

As rizzjc said...

Their is a Coaxial Harness that can be used for two antennas called a Co-Phased Harness made up of 75 ohm Coax, but as rizzjc stated there is a required distance to operate properly; I believe 1/4 Wave Length minimum.
    1/4 Wave Length for CB or 11 meters is 9 feet, which is why the dual antennas work best on the big rigs.
    Another thing about dual antennas is that they need to be tuned individually using a standard piece of Coax the same length as a single leg of the Co-Phase Harness. Then the Co-Phased Harness can be put in place.
    Also, the power of the CB will be reduced, I am not sure if there are any exact number of power loss or power division but there is a reduction in overall performance; ever wonder why a Trucker uses an Amplifier.

Now nothing says you can't mount two antennas and only hook up one but that in turn redirects the output of the antenna toward the main metal mass of the vehicle, if that is OK then try it out.

IMHO of course :rolleyes: :salute: to reduce this to simple terms on a standard vehicle, a single antenna, properly tuned and using a stock output CB (4 watts), will out performs a dual antenna setup.

By the way where did we start talking about Dual Antennas ?