CD6 plays and ejects, but won't load | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CD6 plays and ejects, but won't load

SireSpanky

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
Hi everyone! New member, first post. I bought a 2002 Ford Explorer AWD V8 - Eddie Bauer edition this past weekend - very, very excited!

Here's the situation:
-Old owner told me CD player was empty, but broken.
-I followed some of the posts on here and removed the CD6
(as an aside, there is a GREAT video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXs2JWFhUHQ)
-Found that there were two burned cd's within the player
-Removed them and replaced new CDs to slots 3 and 6 to check
-Reassembled

CDs play great, and will eject on command. However when I try to reload it, or any other CD slot, it constantly is running the little gear to bring in the CD. It's as though there is a sensor that tells it the CD is in, and its not working (don't know if there is such a thing?).

Has anyone had this problem before? If its something I busted while replacing, I will likely just load it with 6 of my favorite CDs and make them a permanent installation to my car (I intend on trying to hard wire in an iPod cable input as well). If, however, this is a common thing or an easy fix, I'd love your input.

As one last aside, is there any manual or book recommended for someone new to these cars - my last car was an aircooled VW from the 70s, so I admittedly know little about modern cars.

Thanks so much in Advance!
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum, seems like you already searched for your problem and "fixed" not sure if there's something else that you could do about it, when mine first started acting up, I took it to a shop and was quoted 80 bux to fix it, so I found a newer one @ ebay for a 100 with shipping included and got that instead, then I dissasembled the old one and aligned the trays and fixed it, for a while, I had to do that several times until it died for real.

There is a how to on instructables, shows you how to hard wire an input into any stereo, basically, you trace the wires on the cd player that feed the sound to the rest of the HU, and tap into them.
There are also other type of adaptors that you can purchase on ebay.

Good luck

how does it know if there is something in the slot? There has to be a sensor of some type, . ..don't remember seeing one. Note on loading all 6 CD's, or thought, if all slot are full that will add a more weight to the trays, so much so over bumps/dips in the road you could jar the trays lose. That spring holding them seems small the the trays slip off the spindle:dunno: I only add 1-3 disk now trying to be safe.

OR Rive Electroinics in CA does repair them with a warranty, mine is 2-3yrs old and still good after the repair.

There are also other type of adaptors that you can purchase on ebay.

I was looking at this. Any one have any experience with this? I am curious if I can use both my CD player and the iPOD, or if it just steals the CD players input. Also, is it easy to find something to wire into?

If anyone knows of a good how to, I'd appreciate it - if not, I will take as many pictures as I can along the way and post them to share.

Nevermind - found post here. Will buy the part from eBay, and post pics on that thread. Cheers.

I only add 1-3 disk now trying to be safe.
Seems like sound advice. Do you think its best to spread them out (slots 1,3,5) or to group them (slots 1,2,3)?

Seems like sound advice. Do you think its best to spread them out (slots 1,3,5) or to group them (slots 1,2,3)?

not sure if the slot would matter, i was more worried about total weight on the whole assembly. i've been avoiding slot 1&6 using mostly middle slots.

Back