CEL multiple codes, multiple symptoms, one fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CEL multiple codes, multiple symptoms, one fix

Jcrews

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt
So, I haven't posted in this forum just yet. Thought I would take the time and offer up a quick fix to several annoying symptoms.

I bought a 94 XLT in November 2012. The truck ran well, but pinged real hard as is common in this vehicle. Symptoms began when I moved from the Bay Area to Southern California. First symptom was the cruise control failed. Second symptom manifested in the transmission slipping after driving on the highway for any longer than 20-30 miles. Third, the check engine light became a frequent visitor.

Recently I moved to Utah and since being here the transmission would not even lock up on there highway leaving me cruising at 65 mph and about 2500 rpm. The check engine light was on more frequently at that point.

Yesterday I finally pulled the codes and it was actually super easy with the help of this forum and YouTube. I used a set of tweezers to jump the EEC circuit. I got several: 186, 211, 335, 336, 537. Figured I would take care of at least one of them, so I cleaned the MAF sensor. After pulling it it was obvious that the sensor probes were holding some dirt.

Test drive results: no pinging, more power, cruise control works and the transmission is shifting like new. Best 14 bucks I've ever spent (my first star wrench set is not of the tamper proof variety, so I had to buy those as well as the MAF cleaner). Now to tackle the new problem of the hard start that has become a problem and the rest of the codes.

Thanks to all who share their info on the forum. It really helps people like me who hate spending money on mechanics when it isn't necessary but don't necessarily have the know how to rip a car apart and put it back together without a little help.

I've had similar issues with the same results from cleaning the maf on my 94! It's amazing how much benefit you can get from just cleaning something! :)

Back