Center Console latch problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console latch problem

Great fix with the springs. I'll also mention that when trying to mend something like the broken plastic piece I've had luck using the concept of lamination. Don't just try to glue the pieces back together at the break - take another piece of flexible plastic (or two) and also glue them over the joint - extending out past the break as far as possible in both directions. Looking for a piece of plastic to use? If you have kids then keep those plastic pieces they use when packaging the toy to hold it to the cardboard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking about to secure them in place by srcewing a screw from the right side trough the plastic into the spring.
But it was not necessary. The springs are sitting with a little pressure, which is enough to secure them by themselves.
Just had luck to find the right springs at my first try! ;)

Lukas2009 - EXCELLENT SOLUTION. Mine has been broken about a year and every once in a while I would look for a used console to show up on Ebay or Craigslist. I read your post on this rainy night and repaired the latch at ZERO cost! I happened to save the track springs from a bi-fold door and they fit perfectly! Thank you very much for a crazy simple, 10 minute, free fix that is 100x's better than that crappy original design.

Love this fix, I did it my self yesterday.. worked great, parts plus shipping were 11.50, I can fix 5 more lol

Just wanted to let ya that this is a great post! I just fixed my 07 sport trac console the same way with the mcmaster-carr springs (http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/1240/=ultrhe) part # 9657K155

20141115_094825.png

Thanks and a tip o the hat!

From removal to replacement in 20 minutes! I have extra springs if anyone needs a pair.

Great solution! Never even knew these things were supposed to "click" shut until I fixed mine.

Just purcahsed a 2007 Explorer with the same latch problem, used the link to order the springs, awesome fix.

Sweet, iv got to fix mine too. starting to drive me nuts lol

I just fixed my latch and it works beautifully. If anybody wants I have five pairs of springs left. Hit me up

thanks to mrmobo sending me some xtra springs i fixed mine a few weeks back. was VERY easy and works great. I didnt even used any JB weld. after i saw how the plastic cover sandwiched the springs in the place and i tested it a bunch it hold in just fine., :)

I had the same issue with my center consol, applied the Lukas2009 fix with some springs I picked up from Ace hardware, and the latch is better than new!

I did this fix and it works great. I have 5 more pairs of springs left. PM me and I'll mail some to you.

anyone still have extra springs? Just realized mine was broken today.

I have some but I just moved so there packed away. I'll look and let you know

I'll check when I get home today.

sounds good. If all else fails ill just order the pack next week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

assuming no one found any? Ill place an order if I don't hear back by mid week. Thanks for looking.

Back