Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Center shifter

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by BlueEx00, July 21, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. BlueEx00

BlueEx00 Member

City, State:
    Fort Worth Texas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 xlt 4 door 4x4
    Hey all! Was wanting to kinda update my explorer and was thinking of a center shifter like this I was wondering if anyone has tried this before and if they can offer any advise.

7DD162AD-B588-4C1D-B259-97BE1E8DADFC.png

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 410Fortune

410Fortune River season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    7B Panhandle
    B2 Mod
    That's a mustang/crown vic style floor shifter.
    Sure you can convert to that, I run one of those in my BII
    You will need the shifter, the cable and a new park pawl in the transmission
    Why? Because the column shifter cable approaches the transmission from the front, the car style floor shifter cable approaches the transmission from the rear so you have to change the pawl in the transmission so it faces down instead of up.
    You will have to rig a mount for the shifter, and wire up your OD button and shifter lights to the interior light circuit.
    I love my floor shifter!!

Is your 2000 Ex a V6 or V8? If its a v6 yo may have to do some custom work to the parking pawl to get it to work with the new cable and rear approach. For the v8 trans the parts are available from Ford.

4. ThreeJs

ThreeJs Active Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas/Henderson NV
    96 EB Explorer 4x4
    I've always thought of installing a B&M Pro Ratchet shifter in my 96.
    I like how the shifter stays in the same position and ratchets to the next gear. I ran a B&M Quick-Click in my SBC Vega in the 80's and it is similar in use.

5. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Lake View Terrace, CA
    '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
    I'm working on this write now. I'm using a newer Escape floor shifter. It looks to shift the 5R55E trans perfect. You can see more info in my Plan B build.

6. 410Fortune

410Fortune River season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    7B Panhandle
    B2 Mod
    my BII with 97 explorer 302 and 4r70w trans being shifted by 96 stand floor shifter using mustang cable and transmission pawl
    I modified the shifter gate to hold it in gear otherwise it would shift itself from 1-2 and 2-D!! WTF mustang dudes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there is trim and carpet around it now looks much better :) I love my floor shifter