Centerline Matrix, Watcha think? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Centerline Matrix, Watcha think?

The Toyos look good but they are so so in the rain and very poor in the snow (don't know if you plan on running them in the winter). They also wear fairly fast. I haven't heard many bad things about the PZeros.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love my scorpions. They wear like iron.

Hartman: Thanks for the info, I know you ran the Toyos for awhile right? All things considered, would you run them again? I am looking for a tire to run in fair weather only. Rain performance must be good, but I will run my stockers for the winter months so snow isn't an issue. I have heard accounts of the Pirellis being noisy and wearing somewhat fast as well? Seems like as with anything else, some people have no problems, and others do. What about the Nittos? I didn't have good luck with them in the past, but expo5.0 seems to love his. James likes his as well.

X24: How many miles do you have on em? How is the rain performance and noise level?

Originally posted by 98X5.0
X24: How many miles do you have on em? How is the rain performance and noise level?
I have about 15K on them. They still look new. I assume you have AWD, so if that's the case you wont have any trouble in the rain. I can't even do a brake stand in the rain (but that's probably got more to do with the lack of power :rolleyes: ). They do have a slight hum to them, but thats nothing a nice sounding exhaust cant cover up. ;)

Yeah, AWD:( (which sucks in the summer), but my concern is performance in standing water. These POS Strangler RTS's hydroplane like crazy. They just wont cut through water. Nothing like traveling down the highway at 55 when you hit a puddle and the front end goes every way but straight! Goodyear sucks!

To answer your question, I probably wouldn't run the Toyos again. There are better options IMO.

Performance aside, the Toyos are a little too flashy as well. The busy sidewall begins to take away from the rims.

To be honest with you, I dont think I have ever hydroplaned. But who knows, maybe I have. In the winter I run my stock rims and tires which are goodyear HT's and they suck. I have never run my scorpions in the snow, but they are much better than the goodyears in the rain.

IMO, the scorpions have an agressive look to them. When the time comes to replace them I will be getting another set.

this may not help, but i have 31'' pirelli scorpion at's on my X and they are by far the best tire i have ever owned. pirelli is an excellent tire, better than michelin even IMO, and i highly reccomend them to anyone.

98X5, if you dont want those R7's, I'll take them.

EXRob: I will keep you in mind. There is quite a chance that I may not keep these. I worked all weekend so I wasn't able to fool around with them. Today I am going to put two of the rims on one side of the X to try and get as accurate a look at them as I can. I will take some pics as well of course! It is a great looking wheel, at a great price, but I just don't know if it is exactly what I want. If I decide Im not happy with em now, I will just become more miserable if I keep em! Whatever I decide it will be in the next couple of days or so. I have thirty days to send em back but then I eat $84 shipping. If I sell them, I obviously need to do better than that or I'm better off just sending em back.:rolleyes:

This is hurting my brain! Well, they fit, and have plenty of clearance. In fact, the offset looks a little scary. These things really stick out. Obviously these pics look gay without tires, but at least you get the idea.

Attachments

• dsc00846.jpg
    dsc00846.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 286

rear 3/4

Attachments

• dsc00873.jpg
    dsc00873.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 285

Front 3/4

Attachments

• dsc00875.jpg
    dsc00875.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 285

looks like you'll get a little road spray. Love those rims tho!

Hey, half way there, now just install a lift. haha j/k:D

IMO, wheels look sweet.

I think they look pretty good. IMHO

those wheels are sweet as hell. i would definitely keep'em. and at the price you got...amazing! they make your X look real clean and sharp without being ricey at all.

I like the look. The high offset will give your ass end a meaner look.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wanna know the backspacing. pull one out and measure it for me please. :)

also, what is the size? are they really an 18x8?

Back