Chamberlain/LiftMaster Remotes on visor?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chamberlain/LiftMaster Remotes on visor??

MC05XLS

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLS V6 2WD
So this may be an odd question. My house came with a Chamberlain garage door opener, but I have an issue with the remote. My remote does not work when it's on the visor. It doesn't matter if it's on my visor or the passenger. I've tried new batteries, I bought a new remote, I checked the antenna wire on the opener, nothing corrects this. I don't know if there's a fix (other than replacing my radio controls for the door opener) but has anyone else had this problem with a G3 Ex?
Here's the kicker, it works from in the door pocket, the center console, the glove box, and even the keyring one works when attached to my keys in the ignition. It just won't work on the visor. What's up with that??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are directional, it may be that the remote is pointing away from the door. Try flipping the visor down all the way so it points in the other direction...

I have to flip my visor down so my Genie remote has line of site. This is the the new style 3 button remote. My parents also have a genie opener (12 years old). I have one on there for their house and that one works with the visor up.

I have a Liftmaster and had that same problem with my '02 XLT. I bought a used factory overhead console panel with optional HomeLink transmitter eBay. It was very easy to install as the wiring connector was already installed. You can read about this option in your truck's owner's manual.

You might also try moving the antenna wire on the opener. It normally hangs down, so you could try hanging it high from the ceiling with a length of tape.

go to junkyard and grab a homelink control out of a junked explorer, I got one for 9 dollars, and like said above, the wiring is already there, just 1 screw and plug it in, and program it. I have also noticed that the homelink transmitter is much more powerful than the remotes, possibly due to the constant 12 volt power supply.

I have a Liftmaster and had that same problem with my '02 XLT. I bought a used factory overhead console panel with optional HomeLink transmitter eBay. It was very easy to install as the wiring connector was already installed. You can read about this option in your truck's owner's manual.

Where did you find the connector? I have a used console with the homelink I want to install but found no connector in the roof console. Is the connector you refer to in the A pillar? The one I bought has all the wiring down to a large green connector that I THINK goes to a connector in the A pillar but I'm not certain. It included the auto-dim mirror and the rear A/C controls, which I don't need. Like I said, I found no extra connector in the roof console.

Thanks.....

I'm not sure what your issue could be but my liftmaster remote works just fine clipped to my visor. It will open the door to my garage as soon as I am in view of the door.

D hook, just wire the green to any 12v constant and the black to a ground, and your done, no connector needed

The console panel that I bought didn't include rear a/c controls or dimming mirror. The only part I used from the console I bought, was the oval insert panel with the three Homelink buttons. The factory connector was inside the overhead console, so nothing to route to the A pilar. Very simple install.

Here's one on eBay like I bought, but I didn't pay that price, they can be bought used for much less...

!CF2fJsgCWk~$(KGrHqJ,!h!E0fTdt1iHBNWY(eH!Cg~~_3.jpg

!CF2fO5!CGk~$(KGrHqJ,!j!E1Mj,S8oHBNWY(rNR7!~~_3.jpg

mine was the same as above, the connector was just strapped up to the roof under the console, it had a dead end connecter in it, im guessing so nothing contacted it. My truck does not have the rear climate controls, but does have the auto mirror.

Nice. Mine is similar but came complete with the mirror, too. The A/C controls are removeable and can be traded for the original plain panel easily.

I'll have to look up there again to see if I missed a connector but don't think I did. Otherwise, I believe the plug is behind the A pillar, down close to the dash. Just have to wait for warmer weather.

Thanks for posting that info and pic. It will help for sure.

Back