Change in 2018 remote - no LED to indicate Remote Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Change in 2018 remote - no LED to indicate Remote Start

JCrew7384

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Platin
Hi. I have a 2016 Explorer Platinum, love it. Considering upgrading my lease to a 2018, or maybe waiting for a 2019. I noticed they changed the key style so the LED indicator is no longer on the key. When/why did they do that? Seeing if the car started is a great feature. Was it unreliable? Always worked for me...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi. I have a 2016 Explorer Platinum, love it. Considering upgrading my lease to a 2018, or maybe waiting for a 2019. I noticed they changed the key style so the LED indicator is no longer on the key. When/why did they do that? Seeing if the car started is a great feature. Was it unreliable? Always worked for me...
Are you talking about the fob of the 2018? I have the indicator on my 2017 and have noticed on a couple occasions that the indicator flashed RED but the I still heard it start up in the garage. BTW, I open the garage door from inside the house before using the remote start. I agree it is a very useful feature.

Peter

I thought when they changed the remote style from the '16 to '18 that it lost the LED indicator light on the Fob. Is that true, or is it just more concealed?

I thought when they changed the remote style from the '16 to '18 that it lost the LED indicator light on the Fob. Is that true, or is it just more concealed?
According to the 2018 Manual it still has the LED Remote Control Feedback (if equipped).

Peter

My remote has it.

2018 Explorer should have Sync Connect.If you start the vehicle with the FORD PASS app you will get a confirmation on your phone when it starts.
Picking up my new 2018 Explorer Limited tomorrow.
Tim

2018 XLT Explorer key fob in my hand flashes 1 green LED after successful remote start, 1 red LED flash on fail. I don't like that the fob is larger than than 2016 fob.

The 2018 key still has the LED. FYI, I have a 2018 key programmed on my 2016, they are interchangeable. The 2016 key is slightly smaller but I prefer the 2018 key since it is easier to remove the backup/glove box key or remove the fob for valet parking.

The 2018 key still has the LED. FYI, I have a 2018 key programmed on my 2016, they are interchangeable. The 2016 key is slightly smaller but I prefer the 2018 key since it is easier to remove the backup/glove box key or remove the fob for valet parking.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I am being told they can't program a 2018 fob for my 2016 sport. Any advice? I bought 2 thinking it wouldn't be an issue.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I am being told they can't program a 2018 fob for my 2016 sport. Any advice? I bought 2 thinking it wouldn't be an issue.
You can do it yourself if you have two 2016 fobs. On the 2018, you have to really push it down in the programming slot and it is a little hard to remove. I have two 2016 fobs and one 2018 programmed on my Explorer.

Thanks for the reply. I just got the car and I have only one. I accidentally set it to MyKey, so I guess I would have to buy a second 2016 first, then I can upgrade?

Thanks for the reply. I just got the car and I have only one. I accidentally set it to MyKey, so I guess I would have to buy a second 2016 first, then I can upgrade?

Yes that would work, you need two admin keys(not MyKey enabled)

1. You must have two working IA keys
2. Insert the 1st working key into the key slot in the center console. Key ring up buttons out.
3. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
4. Push the start/stop button.
5. Remove the 1st key and place the 2nd working key in the key slot in the center consule. Key ring up buttons out.
6. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
7. Push the start/stop button.
8. Remove the 2nd key and place the new key to be programmed in the key slot. Key ring up buttons out.
9. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
10. Push the start/stop button.

FYI... it took me a few tries until I got the procedure to work. If you mess up, lock the car without any keys in it for about 5 minutes then try again.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know why so many previously owned vehicles are turned in with only 1 key fob. That means that there is another one "out there" somewhere that could still be used ern the vehicle. Personally, I would not accept only 1 fob if I was buying a vehicle. My dealer got my current 2017 from another dealer's lot who picked it up from the original dealer and somewhere along the way the 2nd set of keys was lost. My dealer provided a 2nd set free of charge and billed it to the other dealer.
Have you tried talking to your salesperson about a 2nd set?

Peter

I tried to work that, but took a warranty instead. I got a good deal on the car, so I didn't mind some clean up items afterword. Overall love the car, but this needs a resolution quick. already ordered the new fob last night. researching the sync 2 to sync three conversion now.

Update. I got it programmed. Platinum owner was right, it did take me a few times because I was waiting a little more like 10 secs in between, but once i counted closer to 5 it worked easy. Also, I found that open and closing the driver door reset the system when I messed up, so no need to wait 5 min in between. Thanks for the help!

Back