• Register Today It's free!

change out headlight switch.

mike.dukes

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Mazda Navajo
I wanna put toggle switches in to replace faulty pull switch. don't really care about dimmer but want to be able to turn on dome light. is this fix/modification possible? can anybody point me in the right direction for finding a good wiring diagram for a '91 mazda navajo?

The switches go bad sometimes, but you can find them pretty cheaply at parts yards. Keep in mind there are at least two different kinds in my experience, so pull yours first and note the connector pin layout.

If your switch has issues of handling current, i.e. it gets hot and the lights cut off, putting in a couple relays could be a good idea. You'd be able to keep the stock pull switch with dimmer function and with a pair of good relays you could run your stock lights and some aftermarket ones too without any load on your switch.

Just go with another switch. It'll be a lot easier then what you want to do. The harness that the headlight switch is it isn't really all that long to be able to cut/crimp/solder connections. My headlight switch went out last year and replacing it was maybe a 30-45 minute job if you've never removed the front of your dash before.

Back