Changing Spark Plug wires on 1994 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Spark Plug wires on 1994 Explorer

springers

Reaction score
City, State
London, England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
I have a 1994 Ford explorer in France which has recently picked up a small misfire.
I have had the plugs changed and it made no difference at all so I guess it is the spark plug leads next and then a new coil.
The thing is the local garage apparently has no way of sourcing these parts so I am going to get them myself. I have been on the RockAuto Parts site and am a bit bewildered by the choices. The variety of prices leads me to believe that I could easily make a mistake.
Does anyone have any advice, either on the engine symptoms or a purchasing strategy?
Given that I am having to get them shipped all the way over here I would prefer to pay a bit more than get it wrong. But is paying top dollar the best way?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have ordered the Delco wires. They are not here yet, so I don't know how they'll fare.

Is your Check Engine Light burning?

Yes. My check engine light has been coming on from time to time for months now. Is it related then?

When in doubt, try to use the OEM Motorcraft parts for your replacements. I see Rockauto has Motorcraft replacements, but they are a little on the pricey side. I personally use NGK plugs and wires with good luck. I have also used Bosch in the past with good results, for a cheaper alternative.

For the $10 more though, I think I would go with the Motorcraft.

Benjam :D

Edit: I should note, I have used Bosch plug wires before with good results. Stay away from Bosch spark plugs in these explorers, your truck will not like you!

Darn! I just ordered the Bosch, because I was told Bosch makes the Motorcraft plugs...

Regular Bosch plugs are fine. It's those +4 ones that sometimes work or don't work well. I had a set & they were fine. Others seemed to have issues.

For your misfire I'd replace the coil pack as well as the wires.

I ordered the Platinum one. They usually worked very well in any car I owned so far (besides Diesel).

Back