• Register Today It's free!

changing vss gear

93xplorersport

Reaction score
City, State
paris, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport 4x4
I need to get a gear for my new tires but ford don't list the gears anymore is there any where else I can get the gears from? It's only 5 mph off now but when I put 35 on it it will be off even more and I would like it to be closer to the right speed if I can

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im wondering about this too just got my 35's and my speedo says 50 when im going 55 according to the gps

right now with my 31s im off by 5 miles an hour how are you off by 5 with 35?

Ask the parts counter person at the dealer to do a nationwide in house search. My local dealer didn't have them in stock either, but was able to locate a bunch of them from other dealers inventory. I had them in hand within 3 days.

What color gear do I need dos 35 in tires

Dealer isn't the only place. Go to an actual speedometer repair place. They should have it, and have it in stock. Otherwise, look online.

The key things you need to know are long/short snout and how many teeth. Color doesn't matter "as much" since most places list them by # of teeth but not by color.

~Mark

I bought mine from Summit a few years back.

how many teeth would be needed for 35s? i havent been able to take mine out and seen what color and how many teeth it has to do the conversion formula

Then you need to buy all of the sizes as there really is no way to know what size you need without know what you have now. Once you figure out which on you need and install it, return the rest.

~Mark

"ford manual Speedometer gear" are the search keywords I used to find them on summitracing and via google shopping results.

~Mark

Does gear ratio actually mater or is it the tire height

Yeah....umm....I bought a gear from the Ford Dealer locally a couple months ago they had to order it but was still available....check the color of your current gear...

Does gear ratio actually mater or is it the tire height

It's both really. I have 35's and 4.88's in the diff's. IIRC I bought a 23 tooth from summit...I have an advantage as summit is about 45 minutes from the house :D Had them pull the gear from the HUGE warehouse they have, paid the 20 or so dollars for it and installed it in the parking lot lol. Still reads about 5mph slower than actual but only like at 60 or higher, the rest is within 1-2 mph. Better than stock VSS and 4.88's speedo read like 35 or something in first gear:wtf: lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back