• Register Today It's free!

Charging issue

syn-

Reaction score
City, State
orlando, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt - wip
Seems despite my will to fix charging on my OHV I am missing something. The breakdown is I installed an ADP Underdrive Pulley and Underdog Performance Overdrive Pulley. I have a power cap on my car audio system that has an output of what the voltage is currently at idle (seeing 13.1 -.2) when I am driving we have normal 14.1 or better. Now also included in this setup is a BlackMagic 180 Xtreme fan. If your curious about my alternator I just replaced it with ProStart (reman in Motorcraft housing). I also have 0g ground for my battery, and 4g on the alternator (thus completing the big 3). When the truck was stock with the BM fan (no pulleys), it produced 14.7 (at the powercap). What am I missing in relation to my charging being that far off?

Alright after looking at the system with idle after driving it seems my idle is 13.0. This is with the electric fan off, I am almost thinking of installing the original alternator pulley. At this point I am not sure if it will get better.

Well what did you replace the alternator with? You say it's a ProStart, whats the amperage on that?

Also, what pulleys did you put where? If you slowed down the turning of the alternator pulley, it'd make sense your charging would also go down because it was slowed down.

And a power cap is useless, if you have a good battery, a good alternator, there should be no reason for a cap.

Back