IgotTwo

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg, N.J.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT - 97 XLT SOHC
I need some charging problems help
My dash voltage gauge is reading very low

I ran a voltage meter across the battery while the car was running and got no increase in voltage as I tached it up. I was expecting approx 13.5v per the manual. I just watch the voltage drops as it runs
I can watch the dash voltage gauge slowly drop from its low position also. The battery is new and checks outs with a hydrometer.
I peeled back the tape on the battery ground and it looks fine.
I can find any visibly bad wires

After a new alternator, I am getting the same.

I did find the fusible link to the starter solenoid but since the car starts, I ruled that out

Any thoughts
?

IgotTwo said:
I need some charging problems help
My dash voltage gauge is reading very low

I ran a voltage meter across the battery while the car was running and got no increase in voltage as I tached it up. I was expecting approx 13.5v per the manual. I just watch the voltage drops as it runs
I can watch the dash voltage gauge slowly drop from its low position also. The battery is new and checks outs with a hydrometer.
I peeled back the tape on the battery ground and it looks fine.
I can find any visibly bad wires

After a new alternator, I am getting the same.

I did find the fusible link to the starter solenoid but since the car starts, I ruled that out

Any thoughts
?

Get the alternator checked if you haven't already. You mentioned it was a new alternator.. You never know if it went bad. Are you experiencing problems on your 97 or 94? If its the 94, check all your wires.. The 1st generation battery cables are known to go bad internally. Since your truck is 10 years old, I would recommend changing the cables if they are still original.

Did I miss something? You have a voltmeter and you didn't post any voltages!!!! I suggest you take a voltage reading from the center of the battery terminal to the body with the headlights on. Reading should be less than 0.1V

This was on my 97…..and hopefully good news

With the charging circuit wiring diagram in hand, I started rechecking and followed wires.

I re-did that “lights on lights offâ€, A\C on, A\C off†with the volt meter across the battery.
I also checked the resistance on the ground wires which were OK. I shook “this wire and that wire.â€

The wiring diagram had 3 15amp breakers in the power distribution box related to the charging circuit. I took out the fuses cleaned them and shook em in back there. (we all know those contacts are known to corrode)

Finally I had to recharge the battery because of the charging problem. While I was test running the car it was just running off the battery charge.

With all that redone, I fired it up and BINGO!

The dash voltage was at the “mid point†and my battery reading went up to approx 14 volts. The voltage was dropping and rising as I loaded the electrical system and revved the engine. ….as it should

Now I have to wonder but if I have an "intermittent something†from something I jiggled or I got it licked.

Thanks for all help and support…….I’ll let you know if it holds.

(Somehow, I think it was the power distribution fuses which may have had a little corrosion? Maybe not? Maybe a good thing for all of us to check first when things go flakey)

Back