Charging system light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Charging system light on

dobscar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, Ford, Explorer XLT
Replaced the battery at 37,000 miles. At 42,000 miles charging system light is on and steering is impaired. IS there a recall on the system? What do I do?

Replaced the battery at 37,000 miles. At 42,000 miles charging system light is on and steering is impaired. IS there a recall on the system? What do I do?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Can you be more specific about "steering is impaired". Since the Explorer has EPAS (Electric Power Assisted Steering), the 2 items may well be connected.
Power Steering Assist | Vehicle Feature Video | Official Ford Owner Site
There is a TSB for Power Steering failures but that is for 2011 - 2014 models. If it is a charging fault it could possible be the alternator.

Peter

2016 Ford Explorer XLT, Electrical problems, battery and/or alternator

I had to replace the battery for my 2016 Ford Explorer XLT at 37,000 miles. At 43,000 miles the charging system light came on. Vehicle went dead. Had it towed to dealership. They did a diagnostic. Said it was alternator. Very disturbed that I have a new vehicle and 22 months it is not drive-able. Who else has experienced this issue or similar issues with this model?

2016 Ford Explorer XLT, Electrical problems, battery and/or alternator

I had to replace the battery for my 2016 Ford Explorer XLT at 37,000 miles. At 43,000 miles the charging system light came on. Vehicle went dead. Had it towed to dealership. They did a diagnostic. Said it was alternator. Very disturbed that I have a new vehicle and 22 months it is not drive-able. Who else has experienced this issue or similar issues with this model?
Your thread was merged with your initial one on the same issue.

Peter

Back