• Register Today It's free!

Cheapest sas idea

Harder93

Reaction score
City, State
Buckley, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
Get rid of the ttb axle pivots and get some aluminum plating to weld the two halves of the ttb together with and done you have a custom Dana 35 straight axle explorer. Add some gaussets and it would hold up

although I'm not exactly being serious I'm surprised I've never seen it done

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You still need to put a panhard bar (to locate the axle laterally) because the welded axle will have to be disconnected from the pivots. At that point, you might as well get a solid front axle from a Jeep - less work.

Oh and the two halves are steel so it'd be difficult to weld them together with aluminum ;).

I was thinking they were alum my bad. And there is no way I would attempt this so I didn't get into too many details. However if you keep the sway bar that combined with the radius arms driveline and coils would hold the axle mostly in place

If i remember, someone did that with the ttb D44 out of an F150.

yep, Gwaii over on TRS did that with a D44 TTB. he coaxed some pretty gnarly flex out of his setup.

Would a D44 TTB bolt to our Explorer pivots? It doesn't have anything to do with the original post, but I'm just curious if a D44 TTB would even come close to working on an Explorer.

Nope, I'll never try it - curiosity is buggin' me.

Would a D44 TTB bolt to our Explorer pivots? It doesn't have anything to do with the original post, but I'm just curious if a D44 TTB would even come close to working on an Explorer.

Yes.

Though that's about where the "bolt to" part ends. From that point its a similar amount of fab work as putting a solid D44 under it (spacing out the coil buckets, etc.).

Get rid of the ttb axle pivots and get some aluminum plating to weld the two halves of the ttb together with and done you have a custom Dana 35 straight axle explorer. Add some gaussets and it would hold up

although I'm not exactly being serious I'm surprised I've never seen it done

And what practical purpose do you think this would serve?

Thought he had a TTB D50. Could be wrong though.

Same principal though.

IIRC He used D44 beams and a D50 center. Its a direct bolt in to the D44 beams and the driver side is longer then the D50 beam.

Back