Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

"Check Advtrac" message

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Busted Knuckels, January 11, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Busted Knuckels

Busted Knuckels New Member

City, State:
    Lost in NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 Ford Explorer 4x4
    Hi y'all,
    I have a. 4.0L SOHC 2005 Explorer XLT. I have been working on getting it back up and running after my stepson went into the Army. He used to show the truck. Now my wife and I are reworking the truck to fir our life style. (Island life) enough about me and on to the issue at hand.

Every time I start the truck I get 2 messages. The first one says the the Advance Traction Control is turned off. Then that goes away and it says to check the Advance Traction Control. I took it to my local auto parts store and had the codes run. The guy told me that my ABS was not syncing up. ...... where do I begin? Is it possible to fix this myself?
    I know a simple disconnect battery reset won't work. I had this issue before I got the new battery that is in the truck now.
    I was having power drain issues before... I wonder if this is not part of the problem.

I would be grateful for any help.
    Thx

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. lincolnshibuya

lincolnshibuya Active Member

City, State:
    kc mo
    2002 mercury mountaineer
    go to a parts store and have them check the abs codes for free. you need to tell them specifically to scan the abs because some stores don't have scanners that can read the abs codes. post the codes here.

it might be simply a rear speed sensor at your rear diff or wheel hubs going bad. the code will tell which one so you don't throw parts at it.

sometimes a bad battery can cause this too. have that checked too.

4. Busted Knuckels

City, State:
    Lost in NC
    2005 Ford Explorer 4x4
    Ok. I had a bad battery a while ago. I have since replaced it. I have new tires all the way around.
    I went to Advance Auto after work and here are the codes they gave me for the ABS:
    U2023
    C1440

I have not found anything detailed on these codes as of yet. Any ideas?
    Thx

5. lincolnshibuya

lincolnshibuya Active Member

City, State:
    kc mo
    2002 mercury mountaineer
    C1440 is failure of the speed control deactivation switch, it is located at the master cylinder. It might be loose, got disconnected or faulty.

U2023 is a wheel speed sensor issue on the differential or your transfer case. The location and type of sensor depends on what kind of driveline configuration you have (say with RSC, AWD, 4x4, 2WD, etc)

6. Busted Knuckels

City, State:
    Lost in NC
    2005 Ford Explorer 4x4

We Support Our Troops!