Check Brake System, Service AdvanceTrac and Collision Warning Malfunction | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Brake System, Service AdvanceTrac and Collision Warning Malfunction

Ramzi Nassar

Reaction score
City, State
Doral,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I am a new member and would like some guidance. My Ex 2012 Limited had Power Steering Assist Fault errors and dealership replaced the EPAS gear. A couple of days later my Ex started having ABS, Brake and AdvanceTrac lights and c
Check Brake system, service AdvanceTrac, collision warning malfunction warnings as shown in the pictures. Took the car to the dealership and they said the problem is with the CCM module and have to replace it with a cost of $2000.

Does it make sense the diagnostic given by the dealership? Are there chances they could've damaged something when changing the EPAS gear?

IMG_20190301_174003.jpg

IMG_20190301_173959.jpg

MVIMG_20190301_173956.jpg

IMG-20190221-WA0007.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Ramzi.:wave:
It is possible that the tech may have accidently caused this. Here is what another member found when he had a similar warning, minus the Check Brake System.
"Turns out there is a steering angle sensor that was bad. They replaced that and it was fine."
Not sure if that is also your problem why it would bring up the Check Brake warning.:dunno:
Are you a permanent resident of Florida or what we call a "Snow Bird"? Just wondering since your mileage is in kilometres.

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for the information. I am actually not from US. I live in Costa Rica.

Will talk to my kexhmech to check if this sensor could be causing the issue.

Welcome to the Forum Ramzi.:wave:
It is possible that the tech may have accidently caused this. Here is what another member found when he had a similar warning, minus the Check Brake System.
"Turns out there is a steering angle sensor that was bad. They replaced that and it was fine."
Not sure if that is also your problem why it would bring up the Check Brake warning.:dunno:
Are you a permanent resident of Florida or what we call a "Snow Bird"? Just wondering since your mileage is in kilometres.

Peter

Let's see the codes stored.

Battery could also be heading south. You have a lot of disparate failures, so there's always the possibility of a low voltage situation.

Thanks. If it's battery shouldn't the warnings disappear once the car is ON as the battery is being charged?

Let's see the codes stored.

Battery could also be heading south. You have a lot of disparate failures, so there's always the possibility of a low voltage situation.

You'd think that, but we've seen them remain persistent even when the alternator should be charging.

Thanks. I will take the car to check the battery.

Took my car and checked the battery. Battery seems ok. I ran a scan and got this:

===PCM DTC U0104:00-6C===
Code: U0104 - Lost Communication With Cruise Control Module

- DTC Maturing - Intermittent at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
- Test not complete

Module: Powertrain Control Module
===END PCM===

===OBDII DTC ===
Successful DTC reading, no error codes found

Module: On Board Diagnostic II
===END OBDII===

===APIM DTC ===

Module: Accessory Protocol Interface Module
===END APIM===

===HUD DTC ===

Module: Head Up Display
===END HUD===

===FCIM DTC ===

Module: Front Controls Interface Module
===END FCIM===

===FLM DTC ===

Module: Front Lighting Control Module
===END FLM===

===DSP DTC ===

Module: (Audio) Digital Signal Processing Module
===END DSP===

===OCS DTC ===

Module: Occupant Classification System Module
===END OCS===

===C-CM DTC U0418:68-AF===
Code: U0418 - Invalid Data Received from Brake System Control Module A

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Event Information

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC

Module: Cruise-Control Module
===END C-CM===

===ABS DTC U3000:49-AB===
Code: U3000 - Control Module

- Internal Electronic Failure

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC

Module: Antilock braking system
===END ABS===

===RCM DTC ===

Module: Restraint Control Module
===END RCM===

===PAM DTC ===

Module: Parking Aid Module
===END PAM===

===PSCM DTC U0121:00-08===
Code: U0121 - Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module A

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request

Module: Power Steering Control Module
===END PSCM===

===ACM DTC ===

Module: Audio Control Module
===END ACM===

===BdyCM DTC U0104:87-08===

- Missing Message

Module: Body Control Module
===END BdyCM===

===BdyCM DTC B108A:01-08===
Code: B108A - Start Button

- General Electrical Failure

Module: Body Control Module
===END BdyCM===

===SCCM DTC B137F:09-08===
Code: B137F - Steering Wheel Left Switch Pack

- Component Failures

Module: Steering Column Control Module
===END SCCM===

===SCCM DTC B1380:09-08===
Code: B1380 - Steering Wheel Right Switch Pack

- Component Failures

Module: Steering Column Control Module
===END SCCM===

===IPC DTC U0104:00-28===

Module: Instrument Panel Control Module
===END IPC===

I think the dealer has this backward.

The ABS module seems to have the issue, not the other way around (CCM). Without checking my diagrams, the CCM would need to communicate with the ABS module to pre-charge the brakes in the event of an imminent collision. Thus, if the ABS module is failing, CCM should fault out accordingly as it can't deliver on the request. As far as the BRAKE! light being on, I don't see another failure to indicate an issue there but for the ABS module reporting a fault.

If it were my car, I would perform self-tests on the ABS and CCM, and if they come back clean, clear all DTCs and see if the faults return. If ABS is still faulting, I'd be checking connections just in case--but otherwise feels like an ill timed failure. But the CCM doesn't seem to be the problem child here.

I think the dealer has this backward.

The ABS module seems to have the issue, not the other way around (CCM). Without checking my diagrams, the CCM would need to communicate with the ABS module to pre-charge the brakes in the event of an imminent collision. Thus, if the ABS module is failing, CCM should fault out accordingly as it can't deliver on the request. As far as the BRAKE! light being on, I don't see another failure to indicate an issue there but for the ABS module reporting a fault.

If it were my car, I would perform self-tests on the ABS and CCM, and if they come back clean, clear all DTCs and see if the faults return. If ABS is still faulting, I'd be checking connections just in case--but otherwise feels like an ill timed failure. But the CCM doesn't seem to be the problem child here.

Thanks! I am getting a new scanner next week that will allow me to do some self-tests. Will be posting the results. Thanks for the support.

Don't forget to pick up a service manual and perform all of the pinout tests that are likely there to check for connection issues, especially if the techs were messing around with related systems during previous repair attempt on EPAS. There are a lot of times where communication issues are caused by bad connections that simply need to be cleaned/repaired. Always good to check your ABS sensors/wheel bearings anytime you get ABS faults.

Hi all

I just got the scanner and was able to perform self-tests over several modules. I am starting to think the problem is with the ABS. If someone can take a look at the logs I will appreciate it.

Attachments

• ABS.txt
    410 bytes · Views: 387
  • CCM.txt
    676 bytes · Views: 293
  • PSCM.txt
    528 bytes · Views: 182
  • SCCM.txt
    600 bytes · Views: 199

I had all the same symptoms as you are having and it turn out to be the ABS controller went out on my 2011 Explorer Limited. I would look to see if your scanner will communicate with the abs control module mine would not communicate with any scanners. If your has the cruse control that control the space between you and the car in front the front collision sensor is out then I would suspect it to be the abs unit. It ended up costing me just over $1400 at a Ford Dealership in Texas to replace the whole ABS unit.

I had all the same symptoms as you are having and it turn out to be the ABS controller went out on my 2011 Explorer Limited. I would look to see if your scanner will communicate with the abs control module mine would not communicate with any scanners. If your has the cruse control that control the space between you and the car in front the front collision sensor is out then I would suspect it to be the abs unit. It ended up costing me just over $1400 at a Ford Dealership in Texas to replace the whole ABS unit.

Thanks! Yes my 2012 Explorer Limited comes with the collision sensor that control space between car and car in front. The Ford dealership in Costa Rica said the problem was with this Speed sensor but looking at other scans seems the ABS is out. Can you share the part number of the ABS controller? The one I am looking for is DB5Z-2C405-E but it just costs $400. Maybe we are talking about two different modules.

Welcome to the Forum Jerry.:wave:
That "cruise control" feature is called Adaptive Cruise Control.;)

Peter

I am a new member and would like some guidance. My Ex 2012 Limited had Power Steering Assist Fault errors and dealership replaced the EPAS gear. A couple of days later my Ex started having ABS, Brake and AdvanceTrac lights and c
Check Brake system, service AdvanceTrac, collision warning malfunction warnings as shown in the pictures. Took the car to the dealership and they said the problem is with the CCM module and have to replace it with a cost of $2000.

Does it make sense the diagnostic given by the dealership? Are there chances they could've damaged something when changing the EPAS gear?

View attachment 168175

View attachment 168176

View attachment 168177

View attachment 168178

Just saw your post and don't know if you have solved the problem with your explorer but I had the same issues with my Ex and I had to replace the cruise control module in the front of the car. It's located on the driver's side behind the bumper cover. Had to remove the cover to get to it. After I replaced it I had to scan and clear the error code. Now it works fine. The dealership wanted over $1700.00 but I found it on Ebay for $300.00. Make sure that you match the parts numbers first.

Just saw your post and don't know if you have solved the problem with your explorer but I had the same issues with my Ex and I had to replace the cruise control module in the front of the car. It's located on the driver's side behind the bumper cover. Had to remove the cover to get to it. After I replaced it I had to scan and clear the error code. Now it works fine. The dealership wanted over $1700.00 but I found it on Ebay for $300.00. Make sure that you match the parts numbers first.

Thanks for asking. I haven't fixed the problem yet. I am still confused if the problem is the CCM or the ABS. Did you scanned your vehicle when you had the issue? Did the ABS self-tests showed electronic failure?

Thanks for asking. I haven't fixed the problem yet. I am still confused if the problem is the CCM or the ABS. Did you scanned your vehicle when you had the issue? Did the ABS self-tests showed electronic failure?
Yeah. From my understanding is that when t collision control module fail to communicate it sets off all the sensors. Do you have adaptive cruise control and the red bar light in the dash? I tried resetting it with Forscan
Before I replaced it but it kept failing. After I replaced the module it works fine now. I think that I have a picture of the old module.
when you had the issue? Did the ABS self-tests showed electronic failure?

Yes. My Ex has the adaptive cruise control and the red bar lights that flash when it detects collision.

I am currently having the issue and tried resetting the error mesagesm with Forscan but the problem cintucont to happen. I scanned with Forscan and tried self tests in ABS and here is what I got:

===ABS DTC U3000:49-AB===
Code: U3000 - Control Module

- Internal Electronic Failure

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cant figure out how to post photos. But the part number Ba1t-9g768-am. Check on Ebay for best deals. You do have to remove the front cover to access it.

Back