Check charging system?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check charging system??

hmease010

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ford Explorer Eddie Ba
Well the last few days my explorer has been doing some wierd things. When I start it this annoying beep goes on for about a minute and today when I turned the truck on and put it in drive it jerked forward then beeped then shut off with the message check charging system. At this point I'm freaking out because I'm not home and don't know if it'll do this again. But when I turned it back on it beeped but drove just fine. It can't be the battery since it's brand new and so are the wires and terminal heads. A couple months ago ford checked the alternator and starter and said they were fine so I'm really confused.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which wires and terminal heads are you talking about?

Is the three(?) pin connector to the alternators regulator new?

The battery terminal heads and wires. Ford replaced all of that when they changed the battery. No I haven't I didn't know where to even start.

Where is that located just so I know? I don't know if that was replaced or not.

Looks like you have the 4.0 engine. There should be two connectors off the top of the alternator. A one wire and a two or three wire connector. Try jiggling the connectors and see if it fixes the issue. You may unplug the connector, pull the wires outward and push back in, then reconnect.

Do so and report back. One of the wires tells the PCM how much voltage is being produced etc. if it has a bad connection the light will come on.

So I did just that so far it fired right up. I do have an unrelated question what size socket is for the spark plugs? Since I've had this vehicle it's never been done and I can tell you now the owner before me didn't it was in pretty bad shape when I bought it.

I have this message along with charge light On since last week and still trying to diagnose! Its a 2005 Ford Explorer

Previous week: Left wheels felt like grinding.. 4x4 appeared enagged.. then ABS and Traction lights came up.. Solution: ABS Fuse removed to keep it moving
then Day 1: The light and alarms came in on idle intermittently
Day 2: Light on more often on idle.. Battery voltage still higher than 13.5 with load off idle
Day 3: Light is almost always on.. Now battery voltage <12v

Left the car at Garage here.. the guys tell me that they used a donor alternator from another explorer not <2005 model but it didnt fix it.. they say its a wiring issue... no one is willing to trace the issue here.. may be all the error lights.. so I got the car home.. and started my own work using diagram and help available online

Check following so far:
1. Alternator B1 terminal has power and no obvious drop
2. Alternator A terminal has power with no drops
3. Alternator I terminal has power on Ignition.. but drops to 1v when engine start.. measuring using an analog multimeter

Today plan to check the voltages on F pin on regulator to rule out the rotor brushes.. will update my findings as i try to isolate the problem before investing on alternator or PCM

Update.. rotor brush appear to be fine.. I am not getting anything on the I input from the PCM when the connector is removed.. removed the alternator to get it checked from shop

The wire I is connected to pin 24 on the PCM C175B connector.. The wire has good continuity till PCM

Any help please.. is this the alternator or the PCM can go wrong too??

Back