Check Engine Light - Happy Holidays NOT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light - Happy Holidays NOT

It will cost you about 50 bucks to have a pro do it.The filter it self costs about 6 bucks and then you will need the plastic fittings to take it off and they cost 10 bucks.A clogged fuel filter will cause acceleration problems.I change mine once a year,if a 96 is anything like a 92 the fuel filter is located under the drivers side along side the frame rail:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel filter is very, very easy to replace. Just make sure that you relieve pressure in the fuel lines before removing it...;) They should be replaced every 30K miles or so.

O2 Sensors - DONE

(Portions copied from other thread...)

Well, it's done - dunno if it was the crying, the WD40 or the strained shoulder but both sensors are replaced. Did not get as satisfying a "click" from the front wire clip as I might have liked but then I was somewhat loud while cheering on Michael Vick into the end zone...<grin> It looks very snug, though...

In re: fuel filter - I think that is one I just may leave to the pros. I have an aversion to gasoline under a truck. <grin> Still would like to hear some opinions on the manual's "no change ever needed" - in 1996 - vs. the current consensus of "change it fairly often".

My thanks to all for the handy tips, answers to dumb questions and general kindness. You guys are the BEST.

(Think I'll try the MAF cleaning next weekend...I'm all tuckered out...)

P.S. Whoever designed placing the clippy part of the wire connections AGAINST the walls of the underbody should be SHOT.)

I have no idea why the manual sas to not replace it ever. Are you sure you are reading it correctly? My Haynes manual says to replace it every 30K miles, and if you think about it, it makes sense. It's a filter, and thus will get dirty and clogged. Never changing it is just going to make the problem worse.

Re: O2 Sensors - DONE

Originally posted by Laura69
(
In re: fuel filter - I think that is one I just may leave to the pros. I have an aversion to gasoline under a truck. <grin> Still would like to hear some opinions on the manual's "no change ever needed" - in 1996 - vs. the current consensus of "change it fairly often".

My 97 owners manual says it is optional to change it for Calif vehicles. It says that you should change it every 30k miles for both normal and severe service.

I would change it now and every 30k miles even if your driving conditions don't qualify for severe service (most drivers actually do). The filter cost is minimal compared to the cost of diagnosing most fuel delivery problems.

The most difficult part of replacing the fuel filter is getting the connections loose. You use a special tool (which can be found at most auto parts stores ) to disengage the clips. It takes quite a bit of force to do this. Dead Link Removed

The other important tip is to release the pressure in the fuel lines before disconnecting them. There are a couple of ways of accomplishing this: Dead Link Removed

Back