1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by MrVegas, January 2, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MrVegas

MrVegas New Member

City, State:
      las vegas,nv
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 xlt 4x4
      Everytime i go off road the CEL comes on. Just what could cause it.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian EF Vendor Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      Welcome to the site.. First off get the truck scanned for codes.. There is no way to tell what is causing it without scanning the OBDII port for answers. Autozone does free scans, if not try to find someone on here local to you that may have one or go shopping for one or ask a repair shop on how much it'll cost to scan your truck.

4. MrVegas

MrVegas New Member

City, State:
      las vegas,nv
      97 xlt 4x4
      CEL codes P0446 - EVAP SYSTEM guy told me it could be a bad gas cap shaking loose when off road or egr valve is bad. But the light only comes on when i'm off roading. Any suggestions ?

5. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      I do not have my OBDII code book handy, but if that is the gross leak trouble code.... )I think it is) it is all related to the integrity of the fuel containment system... built around a leak of .030 as I recall as the failure point. The gas cap replacement is a cheap and good start. Gas cap failures account for a LOT of those codes. There are other fixes, but try using a scotch brite pad and cleaning the mating surface and adding a new gas cap and go off road and see what happens..... we can go from there.

6. Opera House

Opera House Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      2014 Explorer 3.5L base
      Just what kind of off roading do you do? Wide angles could be filling the charcoal cannisters if the valve has a small leak. The vent valve is located over the spare tire and it is known to suffer a lot of rust damage and start to leak. If it looks bad, it is bad. My vent filter (located on the end of the solenoid) was filled with gunk. Due to location, it easily gets water in it. I would fixture an additional cover for it when you replace it.