1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

"Check Fuel Fill Inlet" light

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by hdjoe88, October 6, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. hdjoe88

hdjoe88 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2013 Explorer XLT FWD
    Can anyone tell me why this indicator would be coming on? Everything looks OK.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
  4. Dr Plastic

Dr Plastic Active Member

City, State:
    Newport News, Virginia
    '15 Limited FWD
    This is a fault associated with the OBD III mandated vapor recovery system self test. In other cars it indicates that the gas cap is loose or off keeping the fuel vapor recovery system test to complete. You may have a leak associated with the flap that seals the fuel filler neck.

When you start your vehicle the fuel vapor recovery system is pressurized by a small pump and any measured leak down (greater than 2 psi in less than 1 sec for example) that is greater that normal is indicative of a leak in the system. Most earlier cars would just flash the "Service Engine" light. Newer cars have a dedicated idiot light. One car I had flashed a picture of the gas cap on the screen.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Thank you for that post and info Dr Plastic. Wasn't aware of that self test procedure. Something to file away in the memory banks. :):thumbsup:

Peter

6. hdjoe88

hdjoe88 New Member

2013 Explorer XLT FWD
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is spiders. Right now they're all over my yard. I'll have to check out the fuel fill vent for webs. Not right now though since we're under a tornado watch! :eek: