• Register Today It's free!

Check your gas cap light

Ormas4X4

Reaction score
City, State
Southfield MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
My check gas cap light illuminated yesterday. I checked the cap and it was installed correctly. I know it is part of the emissions system. Beyond that, I'm clueless. I'm going to search here for information. A diagram or list of components would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sometimes the caps get old and the seal get worn. If it's not the quick latch style try tightening it a couple clicks more and clear the code.

Mine is the one latch style but after a couple fill ups of putting the cap back on and clearing the code it hasn't come back in about 3 months.

When I got the "Check Gas Cap" light, I got a new cap from the local parts store for short money and that did the trick.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Thanks for the replies. I suspect that there might be a hose that is pinched or off. I say this because the engine was out of the truck. I have a hose left over that I do not have a place to put it. The hose is of the type used for vacuum. It's about 3/8 of an inch. I don't feel any vacuum with the engine running. So at this point, I don't want to run out and buy any parts. What I would like is a diagram of the EVAP system. It is extremely hard to see the firewall side of the engine to look for where this hose might go. It might even belong to the AC system as a drain hose. My Chiltons is useless. A diagram showing the locations of the hoses and components would be most helpful.

I got smart this morning and went to ford and got a diagram of the hoses and lines in the Fuel and Evac system. The hose that was off was the hose from the canisters to the Purge valve. The valve had connections for a vacuum hose and the hose from the canisters. On the purge valve, the nipple for the canister line was below the vacuum nipple and was not visible from the top looking down. I'll drive it to work today to see if the light goes out. As a side note, there is a lot of rubber rot on the surface of the rubber portion of the hose. I would suspect that in some warm areas of the country, that this hose could be completely rotten and cause the same condition.

If the code doesn't clear itself you can disconnect the battery for 15-20 min (or while you're at work) and then connect it back up.

My light comes on periodically. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time until one day I was filling up and noticed one or two drops of fuel below the filler neck area. It looks like it may be rusting right where the rubber hose connects to it. I'd replace the filler neck, but the part is a little pricey. So I think I'm going to replace the hose with a slightly longer one. I'll try to remove any loose rusty metal from the end of the metal filler neck tube before putting the new hose on.

Back