Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Check Your PCM! And Related Connections

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Banjoes, August 31, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Banjoes

Banjoes Member

City, State:
    Florida
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1995 Ford Explorer XLT
    Thanks to Scotty Kilmer on YouTube for being my inspiration on making this how to for mechanical noobs like me, plus I want to thank the forum for saving a lot of money on fixing my Explorer myself-where I'm confident enough of course.

Well I went and unplugged my PCM (after disconnecting battery) and found out it was dirty on the inside, no corrosion, just covered in dirt.[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]Anyway this is where the PCM is located on a 1995 XLT 2WD.

First, disconnect battery:[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Second, get appropiate socket wrench and loosen until the connector comes out:[​IMG][/URL] [​IMG][/IMG] DO NOT TOUCH PINS THEY MAY BE WEAK!

Third, get some electronic cleaner: [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Fourth, clean these areas:[​IMG][/URL] [​IMG][/IMG]

Fifth disconnect and clean these areas too:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

reinstall in reverse order and you are done!, make sure you DRY THE PARTS FOR ABOUT A HALF HOUR BEFORE YOU PUT IT BACK TOGETHER!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

We Support Our Troops!