• Register Today It's free!

CHecking your fuel pressure reg

Yng_pnk

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
I asked a local shop to test mine and see if it was bad and they never heard of them going out?

Get yourself a new shop.
Also search here first, this is something you should be doing on your own.

They do go bad

My 92 had problems a few years ago stalling at stop lights and it was the hardest thing to figure out. Cut open the regulator and found a bevel worn on one side. This was due to a slightly off center spring and it would cause the valve to stick open some times. If the shop did test it they probably wouldn't find anything wrong. Mine was perfect except when it stuck. I found the problem by monitoring fuel pump current when I was driving (what can I say, I'm an electronics guy). Very easy to replace and only about $50. Can't get it checked for that. Do you have any symptoms? Pressure at idle should be about 39# with vacuun line pulled off and lower with it on.

Originally posted by Yng_pnk
I asked a local shop to test mine and see if it was bad and they never heard of them going out?
you're kidding, right? THEY NEVER HEARD OF A BAD F.P.R. BEFORE? do not ever, and i mean ever, go back to that place again. on a side note, its about as easy to check as the air in your tires. basically, you check the fuel pressure (there is a fitting on the fuel rail) and if its not within spec it is 99% chance the FPR is gone...

Back