CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!! | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!!

Hello Everyone!
It's Chief here, Aka: Tim. I started with this pitifull excuse of a motor called a V6 and even more of a dissapointment This POS A4LD tranny! This will all be a nightmare that ended real soon:D

last shot of v6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know she is the best !!!
Get this she has a drag boat, she works on it and races it, and she is very pretty to boot! And YES she has a boyfreind:rolleyes:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

That's a list alright - but what are you going to do after lunch - hehe

I didnt get as much as I wanted done today, due to helping my mother with the tile in the bathroom, among other bothersome things.....

But here is what I did....
1) Took out T-case
2) Took out tranny
3) begun install of hydraulic throwout bearing
4) Looked all over for my flywheel and relized it is
missing and I will have to buy another from the
junkyard.
5) Removed old smog pump which is froze up
6) Installed new "JET" low temp thermostat
7) started making the new fuel lines out of the -4AN
8) Called every junkyard in the yellow pages
9) Went to auto parts store and bought two
O2 sensors, couple of gaskets and two more
quarts of moblie 1 Synthetic.

Tomorrow while I am running around for work I am going to pick up my Custom water pump Pulley and go to the junk yard which I found that has the smog pump, clutch fork cover, and Flywheel. Then when I am done working I will run the flywheel by the napa and have them re-surface it. Then I can finish installing the bearing and clutch assymbly. along with my pulleys, smog pump, and belt. etc...
So wish me luck I'll keep you posted tomorrow.

She looks good, I finally finished and got to drive my 5.0 HO this past weekend. Needs lower gears thow. You arn't planing to run A/C in that thing are you? Where are you going to put the evaportator? On my conversion I just scraped the idea of having A/C much easier also not enough room. Are you going with electric cooling fans? Your rad might be a bit over kill for the engine, mine is way smaller and and it won't over heat.

Madmoose,
yeah I am going with A/C. The evaporator is still in the stock location I just modified the A/C box so my intake would clear. The A/C Condensor will be in front of the radiator behind the grill. I am going to run dual electric fans in between the rad and engine. I am jealous you are driving yours though:rolleyes: just kidding, hope you having fun with it I am almost there!!!!

So I am almost done!!!!! I got the flywheel and smog pump and other things I needed. INapa bead blasted and re-surfaced the flywheel for me.

- I installed the flywheel, and New Valaeo King cobra
Clutch and preasure plate.
-Finished installing the Throwout bearing.
-installed the tranny
-installed the transfer case
-installed the rear driveshaft. (front has to be
lengthened now.
-Installed the headers
-Installed the starter
-Installed the optima battery
-installed the battery and ground cables
-installed the Header tank for my RAD
-hooked up vaccum lines
-installed the headlights with new clear corners.
-cut hole in carpet for gear shifter.
-installed oil filter relocator
-made stainless braided fuel lines for the fuel lines and
Radiator lines going to the water outlet from the
header tank

Things to do,
-make brackets and Install Electric fan
-make brackets and install Stainless steel coolant
overflow tank.
-Make gear shifter knob.
-install fenders,hood,seats,dash pod.
-fill with fuids and start it!!!!!!!!
-drive it open headers to Four wheel direct, so he can
make custom exhaust for me.

Enjoy finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I finished it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-battery cables
-oil,ATF,coolant,brake fluid, and clutch fluid
-Made mounts to hold overflow tank
-made mounts to hold Electric fan
-installed driver seat
-installed gauge pod.
-Made a shifter
* I ended up using the stock mustang shifter and welded it to the shifter that came with the adapter for the tranny. It is good because you can un-screw the shifter knob and buy aftermarket ones unlike the explorer shifter. The other thing about it is I cuold put it where I wanted it because I made it so I installed it low and close to the driver. It is close to your leg but not too close and it is low but not too low. This gave me a lot shorter throw on the shifter:) and it does not interfere with the drink holders at all!!!!!

Then I had a few problems.....

1) There is an incontinuity in the ignition between the "run" position and the "start" position. Not too big of a deal I think it has to do with my clutch/starter interlock switch.
so I jumped it over at the sylinoid to start it....

2) noticed my brand new fuel filter was leaking a little.
3) oil gauge isn't working... I think i just need to get a sending unit from the explorer's 4.0 engine so it will work my gauge correctly.
4) Thacometor is reading high.

5) THE BIG ONE! My tranny was pouring out fluid when I started it!!!! So I called the guy who "rebuilt" it and he is gonna fix it. The only thing that sucks is it is inconveneint. I have to take it out and drive it to him on
Monday.

Good news was the motor ran GREAT and it sounded like a boat motor with only long tube headers on it and no exhaust!! :D
So I'll get back to you soon with pictures and fixes!!

Nice! Bet you can't wait to get it out on the road!!!

Hey congrats!:chug:

That's a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving :D

You are a god

Thanks everyone... I definately can't wait to get the kinks worked out so I can drive it for the first time!

I am gonna pull the tranny tomorrow so it is ready to go to the shop on Monday.
Also,
-change the oil sending unit. ( so gauge will work)
-Buy a new clutch master syliniod. (dont think junk
yard one is working)
-by clips for Clutch/starter interlock switch. I noticed it was slipping around and missing the clip that hold it still. I think that is why it didnt want to start with the key.

I will also try to get pics!!

this is just a guess but do you think that the new radiator suports that you made are gonna let body flex too much. i cant see how strong they are but if it were me i would weld two pipes in an x infront of the rad

No, It shouldn't. The new front end is all gussetted and super strong.

I took the tranny over to the shop today to whatever is wrong with it fixed. Hopefully it will be done tomorrow.
I am going to work on some of the other bugs for now to try to get those worked out.

Good news I finally bought a digital camera. So I dont have to barrow one anymore. I should have some pics of all this recent work on here like tonight or tomorrow.

I got my tranny back. It was just a little thing. Apperently you are supposed to silicone this weep hole closed between the stock casting and the new adapter piece from AA or the tranny will leak. So Now that that is done I am putting that back in today. Also, I bought a new master cylinder for the clutch because I think the old one was bad. So I will install that and get pics on the hydraulic throwout bearing assembly. I aslo, got a new crush sleeve for my fuel filter which should make it stop leaking. The last problem I have to deal with is the incontinuity between the key "run" position to the key "start" position. I talked to brett and he gave me some good advice I am going to try and figure that out today as well.

I will get pics of everything and do a write up.
Talk to yall soon,
Tim

P.S. My camera is capable of video/ audio clips as well....... :eek: So you might just get to see and hear this thing run tonight:D (hint)

I DROVE IT DOWN THE STEET
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-I put the tranny back in.
-T-case back in.
-Hooked up driveshaft.
-Put brand new clutch master cylinder in.
-Hooked up the clutch master cylinder lines.
-couldnt get clutch bled still.
-Finally took it back out and bench bled the clutch
master.
-That fixed it.
-Put it in gear and drove the ***** right down the
STREET!

Stopped for tonight.

Things to do tomorrow.....

-Make a clutch pedal Stop adjustment.
-Find out why oil pressure gauge isnt working
-finish putting few interior pieces back in..
-Bleed the brakes, I noticed they need it tonight.
-Drive it around a little close to the house to check
everything out.
-Take lots of pictures!!!!!

I know I kinda of skipped through some detail here lately as it came together... If anyone has any questions about a part of the swap that I have not answered just ask and I will explain that area. Also, I will get pictures tomorrow for sure!:rolleyes:

Lets see it in action!

All that hard work and it looks like it's about to pay off, good job Tim!

Back