CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!!

Hello Everyone!
It's Chief here, Aka: Tim. I started with this pitifull excuse of a motor called a V6 and even more of a dissapointment This POS A4LD tranny! This will all be a nightmare that ended real soon:D

last shot of v6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Chief34
TUESDAY 3-11
-5:39 p.m. Air conditioning system dis-charged into
atmosphere:rolleyes:

LOL, you may want to delete the evidence.. LOL

Nice engine lift, I'm anxios to follow the rest of the project. Nice right up. Hopefully the MODS will get in here and delete a few of these random post to make it one informative thread. I just thought I wuold try to keep you from getting R12 fines. LOL

MODS, delete this. Don't want to mess up a good project thread. Nice to have a sticky.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Heh, I was thinking the same thing Lonestar. Its
R134 A though, I converted it, but still not good. ;) Anyway, I will keep the info coming. The only thing left is to take out all the wiring, but I wanted to get the new stuff first so I can reference where somethings are in relation to the new stuff.
I should be purchasing the engine,tranny and Computer next weekend:cool: Damn! I cant wait!!! When I get it and take out the wiring I am going to paint the whole engine compartment before I put everything in. That away its nice and pretty under there.

James duff had a pic on there website of the adapter that I am going to buy to mount the T-5 from the mustang onto my BW 1354 T-case. The one I will need is on the right. It has a new shifter mechanism and everything.

4wd t-5 to borg warner 1350 t-case aa.jpg

hey cheif. Not to mess up a good informative thread, but you gonna need the complete A/C unit from the old engine? I got a 91 also and, well dont have ac. Email me about it please, FordExplorerGuy1@cs.com
thanks

Chief, did the roof of your truck hit the garage when you took the weight of the motor out??

That's gonna be some good stuff when you finish. Who's Vette is that in the first pic? As much as I don't like Chevys it looks pretty nice!

Dennab:
No the roof didnt hit because I only pulled the truck out far enough for the engine compartment to clear the garage. I stopped it short of the front windshield so the roof would not be under the garage door opening. I was thinking about all of that when I did it:cool:

Huskyfan23:
Thanks , the 98 vette in the pic is my mothers. She took my work truck (F350 duelly) and her jeep to the river house in AZ. So she let me borrow her car because obviously I cant use my truck right now. So I was pimp dady with the vette all weekend;)

Originally posted by Chief34
Thanks , the 98 vette in the pic is my mothers. She took my work truck (F350 duelly) and her jeep to the river house in AZ. So she let me borrow her car because obviously I cant use my truck right now. So I was pimp dady with the vette all weekend;)

I'd take as long as possible with the project then ;)

It was just for the weekend. She left on friday and came home sunday. I have my work truck again. Good thinking though.

Ok,
Its on now! Saterday Mar 29th, I finally got my new 5.0 HO. I drove up towards LA , Ca and bought a 91 5.0 HO motor and tranny and Computer with all the wiring for 1300 after tax. It was a great deal and the motor is excellent. I started it and heard it run before I took it. It was very very clean and has moble 1 filter and synthetic oil in it. The engine is completely stock down to the air filter in it. This tells me along with the apperance of the engine and car that an older person who took great care of it owned it before the accident. Anyway, the project is rolling right along now. I will get pics soon of the new motor.
I am taking the truck at the beginning of the week to get the enigne compartment painted before i put everything back in. Then it starts going in the truck next week. For now I will just work on the other details and prepare the engine and the truck.
-Tim

keep it coming!..hope it turns out nice and juicy...horsepower wise:D

New pics are coming soon. I have been cleaning up the new motor. I painted the block, heads, and oil pan grey. I also painted the headers black. You know the plate on the intake that says "5.0 ford HO" well I re-painted the lettering black. Then I sanded the brushed aluminum area real good and polished it out. It looks bad ASS. Anyway, I also cleaned up the engine compartment real good so I can get it painted. I worked for about 2 hours the other night getting it out of the garage and onto my trailer. I need to go buy a welder so I can finish some cool things under the hood before I get it painted. Soon as all that is done I will be setting the new motor in for the first time!
-Tim

ok , so Broke down and bought a bad boy welder. It is a Lincoln mig welder. I also got an auto darkening welding mask for better easier welding. Let me tell you, this is a must for every welder!
Anyway, I called and ordered parts finally the other day. I bought;

(all prices shipped and taxes included)

1) L&L motor mounts ...............................157.10

2) James Duff Enterprises 90 degree
oil filter relocation kit..............................63.35

3) JBA 9mm Spark plug wires and Jet
SS 180 low temp thermostat..................68.32

4) Autolight Double platinum spark
plug wires...............................................34.39

This stuff should be arriving soon and I will be introducing this 5.0 HO to its new home soon. I will have pictures tomorrow of some new stuff. So stay tuned. It is all looking great.

Among non mandatory things I also bought;

1) Red Top Optima Battery.............................129.29
2) Stull Billet grill.............................................105.54

Its gonna be pretty too :)

Ok here it goes

-My spark JBA 9MM wires came in and are on!
-My autolight double platinum spark plugs are in!
-My L&L motor mounts came in and I set the motor in her new home for the first time. Looks like I am gonna have to adjust the holes a little. The motor is a little off center.
-I got my new stull billet grill today also which is tight!
I forgot to get pics though, I'll have to get some tomorrow.

Here arre some pics to hold you off.....

gettin it ready_web.jpg

gettin it off the stand and ready.....

off engine stand_web.jpg

on the way there....

up some more_web.jpg

shes a comin in.....

comin in_web.jpg

its goin in....

from the top goin in_web.jpg

trying to get my motor mount bolts in...

me trying to get motor mount bolts in_web.jpg

motor mount pic.....

motor mount pic_web.jpg

better motor mount pic.....

driver motor mount_web.jpg

Back