CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!! | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!!

Hello Everyone!
It's Chief here, Aka: Tim. I started with this pitifull excuse of a motor called a V6 and even more of a dissapointment This POS A4LD tranny! This will all be a nightmare that ended real soon:D

last shot of v6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here is another of those

Attachments

• filter and fuel lines.jpg
    filter and fuel lines.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,363

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

VERY VERY NICE:thumbsup:

Didnt one time you said a magazien photographed ya? did you ever get in??

Cant wait to see soem Action shots........

I hope this helps anyone who needed clarification.

When I put the new longblock together I went ahead and Painted all the parts to make everything look good. Here is a pic of what it looked like once it was done....

I will take some pics of the exhaust and my lengthened front driveshaft as soon as I get it back in a couple of days. I will also take a little audio/video clip of it with my Digital Camera and get that posted on here as well.:eek:

Attachments

• the engine compartment all done.jpg
    the engine compartment all done.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,373

XplorerKid....
Thanks, Last year at Tierra Del Sol The photographer from OFFROAD took some pics of me jumping the truck... He said that he might put a shot of it in the mag and that when I got some more stuff done to it he might want to do a full feature on it. I never did see the pic in the mag, but maybe this year he will put it in there I have made a lot of changes, one of those being the 5.0 SWAP! :) Anyway we will find out this weekend.

Well if its just a picture, or a Full feature, let me, well actually ALL of us here, i know ill buy an issue, even tho i usally dotn buy that magazine........

PEACE

I Will, Thanks....

My exhaust is looking surprisingly well, and My rear gear ratio is supposed to be changed in the morning. So I should be in full glory this weekend.:cool: I am going to get lots of Digital pictures this year for sure.

Tim

Awesome man! What year it that engine you have put in? Also how hard was it to change the computer over from the 4.0? It fits alot better than i thought it would...now if I only had alot of money lying around.

The engine is a 91.
I had Brett From this board do my wiring, so I guess you could say that was easy for me :) I also know how you feel. It takes more money than you think starting out because you try to do things the "right" way once you get into it instead of the cost effecient way..... Anyway, I have to go pick up the truck right now from the shop it is all done and regeared. I cant wait to drive it!! So yall in Truck Haven at TDS 2004!

Just saw a quick glimpse of your truck at TDS. I was leaving Sat afternoon, red lifted exploder with a trailer with a white dirtbike on it.

Also, was that you on top of some hill out there with the chicks showing skin? We were rolling with the 2WD F150 and were doing loops cause he was just sitting there for some reason...

sirhk100,
You should have come and said Hi. It was scarce finding any other explorers there this year and even the couple I did see, I dont think were from this board. I was driving around with a tan colored jeep and another jeep that was black. I didnt see any of the other girls with us showing skin but it is very possible..... Anyway I hope to go wheeling with some of you soon!

YNG_PNK asks.....
Thanks alot, I havent been on in a while but this is a great suprize, Im nearly done with mine, im real close to ordering the adapter now for the t-case,

I have a question on the measurements for the correct adapter, Where do you measure from the block where the bell bolts up?or the trans where the bell bolts up to the back and then where the t-case is? to the t- case?

here is a picture of the Adapter pieces

Attachments

• advanced adapter(2).jpg
    advanced adapter(2).jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,209

This 2 Piece kit REPLACES the entire back half of your stock world class T-5 tranny. The first piece you see in the picture there is the new tailshaft housing which replaces the old tailshaft housing and shifter. This piece is the same length in either of the 2 choices for length on the kit.

This piece measures 5 7/8" inches long. Now behind that comes what AA calls the Adapter itself. This piece comes in two different lengths. This is how you keep the stock locations of the transfer case which also keeps the driveshafts the stock length. Now I do have to say this is sort of hard to do BECAUSE it also relies on engine placement. If you dont have the engine in exactly the same place as the stock engine, in reference to where the bellhousing bolts up, then your measurments arent going to matter. This is exactly why I ended up having to lengthen my front driveshaft even with the shorter Adapter. I placed my engine so far back that it didnt matter.

So what I Recomend doing is just buying one then bolt everything together in the truck before you do your engine mounts permanently. This will allow you to adjust it so that it comes out right for your needs. Remember there are many variables to this.

If you want to get some kind of reference than here is the answer to your original question......
-Measure from the very front mounting surface of your STOCK bellhousing to the rear of your STOCK tranny JUST BEFORE the transfer case. This will give you the overall dimension of your stock Tranny.
-Now You can measure the length of the Stock T-5 tranny from the front of its bellhousing and only measure to the rear of the GEAR BOX itself! do not include the tailshaft housing because this will be gone later. Mine measures out at 16" This will be a little different for 94-95 trannys because the bellhousing was a little shorter I believe. Anyway with that measurement you can add the new tailhousing piece which will be as I said earlier 5 7/8" inches long.
-Now comes your input... Purchase the longer or shorter adapter to meet your needs based on the overall length of your STOCK transmission that used to be in your explorer. Remember that you are trying to match as close as you can the overall dimensions to keep the Transfer case in the stock location as well as your drivshafts. I cant remember exactly what the two measurements are that they sell but if you call them you can find out easily. I hope this helps and Let me know if there are any more questions.

Im going to go with the shortest one, I appreciate you taking the time to explain this stuff to me.

One other question, where did you get your hydraulic throughout bearing? I cannot find one to order from anywhere.

Hello,
I got my Hydraulic throwout bearing from
Mcleod Industries. They are located in Placentia , Ca.
You have to call their Tech line at 714-630-3668. Tell him exactly what you are doing and he will tell you what part number you need and what spacer you need if nescassary. It is a Pain in the but because you can only call him between 10 and 1 or something like that. Anyway, once you have the part number call their office at714-630-2764 with the part number and order it. Expect it to be about 300 bucks. If you dont want to go that expensive, Kaufmann Products has a slave cylinder adapter kit for about $180. I recomend just getting the hydro bearing instead though, it is so much easier and cleaner looking. Let me know if you have any other questions.

On another note, I am ordering my new motor mount that I broke at Tierra Del Sol right now and I should have it together in a few days, so stay tuned because I will post a video/audio of the truck running and some pics of the exhaust. I will also give some fuel mileage numbers and an overview of performance!

-Tim

Which one do you have? does the kaufman one use the stock line, or does it come with a new line?

What does your clutch feel like is it heavy or really light?

I have the one from Mcleod industries. It is an actual Hydraulic throwout bearing. They are the only ones who make it specifically for this swap as far as I know. There are a couple of slave cylinder adapter kits available, like I said before, But this is a different type of system keep in mind. Also, I just tried to get ahold of Kaufmann for a motor mount and I believe they are out of buisiness.

Anyway, As far as my clutch goes, It is pretty hard to push but I believe it is only because I have a King Cobra clutch and it just has a very stiff pressure plate in order to increase holding power.... You get used to it. It doesent bother me.
I will be getting my motor mount in tomorrow so I should have some stuff up on the truck then...
-Tim

They are out of business they still have a website but their customer service number is disconnected.

James duff makes motor mounts fo this swap, i have those ones, if you get them dont follow the instructions tht come with them they are off by 1/2 inch on the passenger side.

Wow, I just found your post about your 5.0 swap about 2 hours ago, and couldnt help but reading it al the way through. Very awesome. Your driving alot of peoples dream truck. I thought doing a 5.0 swap would be easier, but you have proven that wrong. I think i will pre-order all the parts from your parts list that you have been compiling before i start my project. Great write up :)

I cannot find a company that sells a hydraulic through our bearing for this swap anymore, Im at a stand still without it. and 300 is too muc hfor me right now does anyone else know of a place that makes them anymore?

I told you, already. Mcleod industries is the only place that makes a
Hydraulic throwout bearing. It is expensive but if that is too much then you need to explore another route.
Either fab up a manual linkage to move the pivot arm, or you could set up a hydraulic slave cylinder to push on the pivot arm. Those are the only three options.
Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with Yng pnk.

P.s. Glad I could help you " Fortillian"

Back