CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!!

Hello Everyone!
It's Chief here, Aka: Tim. I started with this pitifull excuse of a motor called a V6 and even more of a dissapointment This POS A4LD tranny! This will all be a nightmare that ended real soon:D

last shot of v6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I modified the front some more. I broke out the cutting torch, welder and grinder and got a little carried away. Wait no I mean a lot carried away!!! Hell, This will have more airflow than a jet!! :D

...Here is a before.... So you can relate.

Attachments

• front support before mod left side is cut.jpg
    front support before mod left side is cut.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2,010

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Here is after...........

Attachments

• new airflow for front support.jpg
    new airflow for front support.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,983

This pic shows the old radiator grommets and brackets. I cut these out and made some new holes for the grommets tucked under the front support....

Attachments

• front support from behind after cutting.jpg
    front support from behind after cutting.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,996

here is the hole for the new location....

Attachments

• new rad grommet hole.jpg
    new rad grommet hole.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,992

Here is the new grommet in place.....

Attachments

• new rad grommet in place.jpg
    new rad grommet in place.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,989

Tomorrow I am going to relocate the battery to the driver side. I will have to relocate the charcoal canister bracket and the coolant overflow/washerfluid tank. Piece of cake.I will get some pics on here for it.

Once that is done I am going to pull the engine back out and paint the engine compartment. Next I'll bolt everything back in and take it to a place to get the Radiator custom made. Then I'll just have to wire it and buy my advanced adapter for the tranny. I'll have to adapt my cluth hardware and I am in buisiness!!!

I'll keep up the step by step comentary:)

Chief,

Why did you decide to relocate the battery? Is it because of the wiring? It's actually less brain damage and a lot eaisier to modify the wiring to fit the application, rather than modify the application to fit the wiring.

Brett

Actually Brett, The reson for swapping the battery to the other side is to make room for my intake. The intake comes out on that side and I want it to run straight out and look right instead of bending it. I have seen pictures of someone who bent it back around behind the battery and I thought that it looked stupid. Also it will probably flow better if it is nice and straight.
If anyone has any other questions I would be glad to answer them.

Question

How are you going to work out the hydraulic slave cyl. in the T5?

Congratulations on your new motor...now when you get done we wanna see you smoke some 37s.:D

Looks great. I can't wait to see that thing on the road. V8 Explorers and Rangers :chug:

NOTAJP,
I am either going to buy a hydraulic throwout bearing or just get a hydraulic slave cylinder and make a mount for it on the side of the tranny so it can push against the pivot arm. I havent quite decided that yet but it is in my head at the moment though. When I start working on that wich will be real soon I will be sure to keep yall posted and get good pics.

GAsouthern1,
Thank-you. I am gonna do my best to try! :) As soon as I get everything in and smogged I am going to put together a (blown) very HOT 347 stroker short block in the garage. I will be able to hgave fun with this until its done. Then when it is ready I will just throw it in over a weekend. Then I will be smokin 37's for sure!

RiverRat,
Trust me I cant wait either;) It wont be long though!!!!

and to think i was one of those ppl that doubted you would be able to do this.. thanks for jamming my foot in my mouth.. thats awesome just :eek: popping awesome.. man now just lift a bit more get moster truck tires on it and a bigger garage or house and you will be set :)

So I got the new battery mount made. This is actually a base unit for the trick billet mount I am going to get soon. Here it is. It wasnt that hard to make.

Attachments

• new batt mount overhead.jpg
    new batt mount overhead.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,846

here is a view from down low.

Attachments

• new battery mount underneath.jpg
    new battery mount underneath.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,839

here is one more, a closer shot.

Attachments

• new batt mount closeup.jpg
    new batt mount closeup.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,834

here is the mount that I am getting for my red top optima.... This will mount directly on the mount I made. The mount that I made will not be visible it is just for support.

Attachments

• billet battery holder.jpg
    billet battery holder.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,832

A look without the batt.

Attachments

• billet optima holder.jpg
    billet optima holder.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,835

I bought a polished Stainless steel radiator overflow tank that will look awesome with the custom radiator that I am gonna have made. I should get it in a few days but here it is...

$39.00... including shipping. EBAY!!!!! I Love It!!

Attachments

• polished s.s. radiator overflow.jpg
    polished s.s. radiator overflow.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,840

I envy you cheif, that overflow tank for radiator looks awesome :eek: .

you gonna get rockcrawler driveshafts to handle that big motor now? :D

Back