CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CHIEF Is Almost a 302!!!!!! 91 XLT SAS In the process of 302 and T-5 Swap!!

Hello Everyone!
It's Chief here, Aka: Tim. I started with this pitifull excuse of a motor called a V6 and even more of a dissapointment This POS A4LD tranny! This will all be a nightmare that ended real soon:D

last shot of v6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great write up Chief!! :D

I can't wait to see how you do the clutch portion!!

You have me debating now LOL. I have a 5.0 HO and t-5 freshly rebuilt sitting in my garage with my totalled out 90 Mustang GT next to it. I originally pulled and rebuilt them (wiring harness and computer as well) to toss in my wifes 67 Stang.... but that may change ;)

But I think I would rather figure out how to use the clutch cable than the hydrolic setup. Looked (based on the pic's) like you have plenty of room.

Siek

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

you put the 5.0 in there you can do the bigger tires you were worried about in the other thread about your lift... then you dont gotta worry so much about gears.... but i woulda went with 15x10's.... looks 100 times better on 10's then 8's.

94EBexplorer,
I do have 15"X10" wheels. Also, Yes, I am going to go with 38.5" Swampers when these wear out.

When I get everything done I will see how the gearing is with the new tranny set up in conjunction with the gearing already in there and decide what it needs. Thats gonna be the easiest part. I just cant wait to have 5 gears! Oh yeah... and a V8!!!!! :D :D :D

Siekyre,
Thank-you, I am trying to be as informative as possible. The clutch portion should be pretty easy. I will be working on it pretty soon. Let me know how your project goes. I will be sure to get lots of good pics for you.

Rydin Dirtay,
I know I couldnt believe it when I saw that tank. It's pretty cool. It's suppossed to go out in the mail on Monday.
As for my driveshafts they were lengthened by East County Driveshaft. Actually I am not even sure if they are the stock ones lengthened, or just new ones. They might be better ones than stock. All I know is They are very beefy looking and I dont think thay will be a problem. I'll wait till something happens to one before I buy better ones. They are like 3" in diameter, Both front and rear.

I should have some more on here soon. Maybe even tonight.
-Tim

oh cheif i knew you do i was refering to Siekyre least you better have 10" wides with 38's

cheif can i fly to where you live and touch your truck? just touch it? or maybe stand next to it for a picture?

Can I stand next to Rydin if he gets his picture with it?

Hey Cheif, this is a total long shot but you don't happen to still have the stock tierods from you explorer before the suspension work do you? If so wanna sell them, I'll pick them up tonight or tomorrow or whenever... I need a set!!! Know anyone that may have a set around San Diego?

Khris

Heh, You guys crack me up. Anything for my fans, come on down!

sirhk100,
I wish I could help you. I just went out and looked. The tie rod and ends are not there. When I went and got everything from the shop it was missing that and my coils and perches.... Figures... Anything else I can help you out with though just let me know.

Here is what I have left....

Attachments

• ttb.jpg
    ttb.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,658

I also have the trac bar from the new suspension lift. It doesent even need it so I took it off.....

Attachments

• trac bar.jpg
    trac bar.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,652

here is a shot of it turned around....

Attachments

• trac bar2.jpg
    trac bar2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,658

Here is the latest addition to the swap project... I have more stuff on the way in the mail... This was 22.95 including shipping and tax... Ebay strikes again:)

Attachments

• chrome dipstick and water outlet.jpg
    chrome dipstick and water outlet.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,661

I have gotten most of the little bugs woked out I believe. I am going to try to get my bobcat over to my house sometime this week So I can pull my motor. Hopefully this weekend I can paint the engine compartment and then This stuff gets bolted in for real. Not much left to do. It's getting there!!!!

I am working on buying a short water pump and pulley set right now to make room for electric fans mounted in between the radiator and engine. I will get prices and pics when I recieve it.
I am also working on buying a 94-95 mustang style intake so that everything will clear my ac box. This year intake bends forward in a 45 degree fashion and will clear the stock ac/ heater box. This should be happening in the next few days, so stay tuned.

I have seen some intake elbows for mustanges on eBay that might assist your clearance needs.

notajp,
Thanks, yeah there is an intake elbow that converts intakes to the 94-95 style clearence. I still might do that, but I would like to get a cobra intake. We will see though if I can get a good deal though. I might have to just wait on that till I get the 347 stroker block done.
-Tim

DAMN!

LMAO!!!

.... Is that a good thing?? :D

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say, "That is a very good thing"

When I tell people what I want my truck to look like, I just show them yours. Thats it!! Just like that! I want it to be like that one!! lol Good work man!

I'm officially crawling under mine tomorrow to see what all is tweaked. I may actually be interested in that pass. side beam depending on what I find. It's a bummer cause I would just be using it as a core cause I have to get it cut and turned and widened 3" to fit my custom widened axles. All this work just so I can get it straight and sell it!!! Kinda sucks...

Originally posted by Chief34
LMAO!!!

.... Is that a good thing?? :D

you better belive it!

I see all this nice chrome and billet stuff that is going to under the hood of this monster, bolted to this superb looking engine, and I have to ask, are you planning on using your Ex as a trail vehicle or just something that says "look what I can do!":eek: Either way, I am still viciously jealous! ;)

Back