Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Chrome flaking off my Monderas!

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by AnabolicFrolic, October 1, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. AnabolicFrolic

AnabolicFrolic Active Member

City, State:
      Bend, Oregon
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      01 XLT
      Ive had my Monder B52's 20x8.5's for about 3 weeks now- and when after washing my car on sunday i was drying my wheels and when i went to dry the water puddled in the bolt holes - some chrome came off!
      Ive only used mild soap/water with a 100% cotton terry cloth to clean them.- and now this.
      I carefully removed the flakes that had already lifted up - and by the time i was done the chrome had come off almost to the end of the bolt hole- nearing the FACE OF the WHEEL!

WTF!

Not good at all- i thought about it - and when u bolt the wheels on the truck- yer bound to scratch the chrome in the bolt hole just a little bit- no matter how carefull you are. - and everytime you wash the wheels- water will eat away at the scratched portions - and cause the same problem.

I called mondera on it today- they said that shouldnt happen and i will have to call the place i bought em and file a warrenty claim..
      But now wtf am i gonna do- i bought them in cali- i live in oregon- ive sold my stock tires- so now i have no other wheel/tire to drive on- so what do i do when i send the damaged wheel in and wait for them to replace it!!

IM waaaaay stressed- i payed over 2k for 20's and now- 3 weeks later they are falling apart- and ive babied these things since day 1.

here are some pics- very hard to get close up pics!
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

I thought maybe putting some clear nail polish on the portion where the chrome is flaking- to kinda seal it off so it doesnt flake any more- but im hesitant cuz i dont want to have mondera try to avoid warrentying the wheel.
      On the phone tho - they seemed to own up to it being a flaw and did tell me that will for sure be a warrenty replacement- but i still need to vent as im very frustrated-
      Thanks for listening!
      I really dont know what to think- all i can imagine- is that they will replace the wheel under warrenty- but then all the other wheels will have the same problem as this one- and will be a never ending downward sprial.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Black Magic

Black Magic Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      St. Louis, MO
      Explorer Street
      AnabolicFrolic I am sorry to hear about this. That is why I don't like Chrome. Plus I just don't personally like it on my truck. However, I know how proud you are of your truck and wheels. I feel for you bro. Take them back and get new ones.:(

4. Crimson

Crimson Active Member

City, State:
      Cherry Hill, NJ
      '02 Sport
      My guess is that the chrome plating did not adhere right with the wheel?

I know on my wheels when putting on the lug nuts I did scratched the inside. I just bought some sliver paint for it. The wheels are not chrome though.

Good luck man.

5. Magicfan25

Magicfan25 Active Member

City, State:
      Central FL and WPB Florida
      98 Sport SOHC
      I think there are actually inserts for the lug wrench that have a coating to help prevent scratching the lugs. THey shouldnt flake though

6. Hartman

Hartman Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      1996 5.0
      I believe Mondera has a lifetime warranty on the chrome of all their rims. They will probably replace the rim. They have a very good customer service.