1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Cigarette lighter doesn't work when dimmer is fully on

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by LighterTom, October 30, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. LighterTom

LighterTom New Member

Hi!

I have a 91 ford explorer. I recently had to change the headlight switch because part of the connector burnt (specially around pin B2/A on diagram). I also changed the connector. Both of them are now brand new.
    Now my cigarette lighter stops working when I turn the dimmer on (either on low or high beams). Everything was fine a few weeks ago.
    I checked the fuse (20A) and it's good.

So I measured some voltages.
    When lights are off, I get around 14.7V at the cigarette lighter.
    When lights are on and dimmer on lowest setting, I get around 9.7V.
    Then when I turn the dimmer on a little bit, I get 7V.
    I eventually get 0.8V when the instrument light is fully on.

Here are my questions:
    What is the output voltage of the cigarette lighter? 12V? 14V? 10V?
    Can I damage my gps or phone if I plug the charger when I get 14V or 10V?
    What's wrong? What should I check? Maybe I can measure other voltages and let you know.
    Should I change the "dimmer/flash to pass switch"? Both left and right turn signals are good though.

For the body wiring, see link below:
    http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u625/lighterTom/IMG_0080.jpg

Thanks a lot,
    Tom

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. huntman58

huntman58 Active Member

City, State:
    Fremont calif.
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2013 Dodge Advenger
    Question did you find and fix what made the headlight switch connector burn? I am betting you felt it was just the switch and so just replaced it.

That said its sounds like you may have had a wire or two that got hot melted the insulation and are now cross feeding. I get battery voltage at my lighter. a possible location for this cross may be right by the ash try as there is a dash light there and the lighter wires also so being there at lest thats were I would start and then work back to the switch.

4. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    x
    voltage at the lighter s/b battery voltage (12+ to 14+). it sounds like somehow you lighter socket is getting it's power from your light switch. you could figure it out, but i'd just run a new wire (with an inline fuse) straight from the battery to the lighter.