Cigarette lighter doesn't work when dimmer is fully on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cigarette lighter doesn't work when dimmer is fully on

LighterTom

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a 91 ford explorer. I recently had to change the headlight switch because part of the connector burnt (specially around pin B2/A on diagram). I also changed the connector. Both of them are now brand new.
Now my cigarette lighter stops working when I turn the dimmer on (either on low or high beams). Everything was fine a few weeks ago.
I checked the fuse (20A) and it's good.

So I measured some voltages.
When lights are off, I get around 14.7V at the cigarette lighter.
When lights are on and dimmer on lowest setting, I get around 9.7V.
Then when I turn the dimmer on a little bit, I get 7V.
I eventually get 0.8V when the instrument light is fully on.

Here are my questions:
What is the output voltage of the cigarette lighter? 12V? 14V? 10V?
Can I damage my gps or phone if I plug the charger when I get 14V or 10V?
What's wrong? What should I check? Maybe I can measure other voltages and let you know.
Should I change the "dimmer/flash to pass switch"? Both left and right turn signals are good though.

For the body wiring, see link below:
http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u625/lighterTom/IMG_0080.jpg

Thanks a lot,
Tom

Question did you find and fix what made the headlight switch connector burn? I am betting you felt it was just the switch and so just replaced it.

That said its sounds like you may have had a wire or two that got hot melted the insulation and are now cross feeding. I get battery voltage at my lighter. a possible location for this cross may be right by the ash try as there is a dash light there and the lighter wires also so being there at lest thats were I would start and then work back to the switch.

voltage at the lighter s/b battery voltage (12+ to 14+). it sounds like somehow you lighter socket is getting it's power from your light switch. you could figure it out, but i'd just run a new wire (with an inline fuse) straight from the battery to the lighter.

Back