Cleaned IAC, now it "foghorns"

Silverblade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SOHC
Before I cleaned the IAC I was reading some threads that if it is "foghorning" then cleaning it would remedy this. Mine never made any noise before I cleaned it, now it whistles non stop. Is there anything I can do to stop this or do I need to replace it? I'm cleaning it up to sell it so hoping not to have to spend money on this if possible. I have only driven it about 20 minutes since I reinstalled it, any chance it's just still wet? It is borderline stalling out too (way way worse) but I'm assuming the OBDII just needs to recalculate itself for a few more days. I pulled the battery for 15 mins but that didn't help. Also I took it back out after first install to clean it more when it started whistling then put it back in again. Still whistles. Any thoughts much appreciated thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if cleaning it created the noise then it probably needs replaced, but to get rid of the noise you can try removing the little plastic cap on the air intake on the IAC its self

IAC may still be wet after 20min. Check the gasket make sure its still good.

Probably the IAC wasn't working originally, that's why he cleaned the first time. Probably was stucked in an intermediare position, now got loose and slided in another position.
This lead to a different idle.

I never was able to "clean" an IAC, always needed replacement. There should be no "dirt" in there to be cleaned, if is not working is because needs replacement. The small cap has an air filter inside, don't remove it.

Before I cleaned the IAC I was reading some threads that if it is "foghorning" then cleaning it would remedy this. Mine never made any noise before I cleaned it, now it whistles non stop. Is there anything I can do to stop this or do I need to replace it? I'm cleaning it up to sell it so hoping not to have to spend money on this if possible. I have only driven it about 20 minutes since I reinstalled it, any chance it's just still wet? It is borderline stalling out too (way way worse) but I'm assuming the OBDII just needs to recalculate itself for a few more days. I pulled the battery for 15 mins but that didn't help. Also I took it back out after first install to clean it more when it started whistling then put it back in again. Still whistles. Any thoughts much appreciated thanks guys.
I did the cleaning bit myself last year, and then came the noise. I was able to remedy mine because the o-ring gasket is compressed. I removed the valve, smeared a SMALL amount of RTV silicone on the gasket sealing surface, let it skin over, then reassembled. I also removed the felt filter from the air cap, cleaned it up some with a small wire brush, reinstalled it. Noise gone. Hope this helps you, worked for me.

Probably the IAC wasn't working originally, that's why he cleaned the first time. Probably was stucked in an intermediare position, now got loose and slided in another position.
This lead to a different idle.

This is what I am thinking. The idle wasn't too bad just dropped occasionally at red lights. I should have left well enough alone, ford quoted me 220, the parts store was 200. Is there somewhere online you guys have used that is any cheaper? Thanks guys

I did the cleaning bit myself last year, and then came the noise. I was able to remedy mine because the o-ring gasket is compressed. I removed the valve, smeared a SMALL amount of RTV silicone on the gasket sealing surface, let it skin over, then reassembled. I also removed the felt filter from the air cap, cleaned it up some with a small wire brush, reinstalled it. Noise gone. Hope this helps you, worked for me.

My IAC doesn't have a gasket so I'm not sure if this will help. It is worth a try though I suppose.

It is weird because it is only wanting to stall forthe first 10 seconds now, after that it runs fine. Not sure if it's when it kicks into closed loop or just has to idle for a tiny bit. I am still hoping it just needs to reset still but realistically I think it needs to be replaced. As per above, any suggestions where to buy online for cheap? Thanks

You should have a gasket. Peice of rubber that fits into the channels on IAC..

getimage.jpg

Might want to look again. You might not have seen it when you took the IAC off.

Back