Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cleaning Laptops?

Discussion in 'Exploring Computers!!' started by Robb, September 21, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Hey Guys!

I am sick today so I am not doing a dang thing except sittin here in front of my computer and watching TV. So I look down and notice my laptop is looking pretty nasty. I got dust in every crevis it can fit into to. The more common keys are developing some sort of grime on them. I must confess, there are a couple of crumbs I can see.
      So, I am thinking, take the thing apart and give it a good cleaning. But is there a way I can avoid this. Is there some kind of cleaner (preferably around the house) that I can safely use to clean everything real well without damage?
      Just wondering what detailing techniques you guys use on your laptops.................

Robb

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. LStoudenmire

LStoudenmire Active Member

City, State:
      Charleston, SC
      A can of air always does the trick, but you may not have that around the house. How about an air compressor? If not, the vacuum cleaner should clean the crumbs out. Also, use alcohol to clean the body, keys, and glass. Alcohol will clean and evaporate before it can do any damage to the electronics. Just wipe it on with a towel or cotton balls.

4. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Thanks Man!

I happened to have my 1-gallon shop vac and some alcohol swabs around the house. They did a great job on the base and keys (lots of dog hair came out......geez). I was a bit hesitant on the screen tho. I usually just keep it clean by "dusting" it. Can I safely use alcohol on my laptop screen? If not, what is the safest, most effective product to use on it around the house?

Robb

5. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Active Member

City, State:
      Wilmington, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
      i wouldn't recommend alcohol on the screen. nor windex, or any other surface cleaner. for that you really need to go out and buy the stuff meant for the screen. simply because those screens are little bastards, and scratch descently easily as well as have a small coating of anti-reflective stuff on them. one thing i have used that works well is specialty cleaner for glasses. the anti-fog kind that is anti-reflective coating friendly. i think that stuff works out cheaper than the stuff they sell for computer screens. just make sure not to use a paper towel. use a soft clean cloth. it also never hurts if you know what you're doing to take the case of the laptop apart and blow it out with compressed air. you'd be amazed at the amount of dust in those bad boys.

6. Paresis

Paresis New Member

City, State:
      toledo, ohio
      1997 Explorer XLT
      Endust for electronics is good stuff in my experiance and will work just fine for laptop screens. It can be picked up at most office supply stores and I'm sure many other places. Also, use a fine lint free cloth for cleaning the screen. Paper towls and stuff can leave scratches. Alchohol is OK for most cleaning, but be sure its not rubbing alchohol, as rubbing alchohol has "skin lubricants" which are basically just the oils and stuff you're trying to clean.

7. VairKing

VairKing Elite Explorer<br>Midwest-Xplorer Member

City, State:
      Kalamazoo, Michigan
      '97 EB V8 AWD
      Robb, for my laptop screen I always use a damp soft cloth, and just wipe it down, and when it dries, it looks brand new :)

8. espnfreak

espnfreak Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Elgin, IL
      '99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
      Yeah, some guys here at school have cloths specifically used to clean the screen and they just wipe it down every like 1 or 2 days just to keep it lookin good.

9. LowdPypes

LowdPypes Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Wilmington, NC
      '98 Mountaineer
      best cleaner...

my answer to cleaning anything... spray it down with simple green and put in dishwasher. :D

10. Ford_Power

Ford_Power Active Member

City, State:
      Omaha, NE
      '95 XLT
      yea, the compressed air works the best for keyboards!