Clicking from fuse box under the hood & no power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking from fuse box under the hood & no power

dmack10

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer xlt
Hi guys. I'm posting this, but figured out the problem. Hopefully this will help someone else out. I have a 2002 XLT & Just replaced the battery on Tuesday. My daughter drove the truck all week with no trouble & then this morning (Sunday) it wouldn't start. It wouldn't take a jump from my Ford edge & with no keys in the ignition, I could hear a "clicking" from the fuse box. My "theft" light was dimly flashing, but no other dash light would come on when the key was turned. I opened the hood & the fuse box under the hood & put my finger on a couple of the relay switches. I could feel the one clicking & per the manual, it was the "police ivd relay". (Number 51). I went to the local Auto Zone & they didn't carry the part. I went to a local junk yard & found a 2000 Explorer & the relays were the same number. I bought 2, came home & swapped it out and the clicking stopped immediately. I then connected the jumper cables & she fired up after only being connected 10 seconds. Done! Hope this helps out someone else.:exp:

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Thanks for posting this. Nice job on the fix!! :biggthump

Hi guys. I'm posting this, but figured out the problem. Hopefully this will help someone else out. I have a 2002 XLT & Just replaced the battery on Tuesday. My daughter drove the truck all week with no trouble & then this morning (Sunday) it wouldn't start. It wouldn't take a jump from my Ford edge & with no keys in the ignition, I could hear a "clicking" from the fuse box. My "theft" light was dimly flashing, but no other dash light would come on when the key was turned. I opened the hood & the fuse box under the hood & put my finger on a couple of the relay switches. I could feel the one clicking & per the manual, it was the "police ivd relay". (Number 51). I went to the local Auto Zone & they didn't carry the part. I went to a local junk yard & found a 2000 Explorer & the relays were the same number. I bought 2, came home & swapped it out and the clicking stopped immediately. I then connected the jumper cables & she fired up after only being connected 10 seconds. Done! Hope this helps out someone else.:exp:
What would the relay for that be on a 1988 XLT?
Our ranger was running just fine, than 2 days ago we took our son to school, came home and needed to haul my Honda Accord somewhere to be fixed as it also won't start. And the truck would not start. We changed the fuel pump, Valve and something else. Put all that on. Then let the key stay on for a bit. And than after waiting I wiggled a relay in the relay fuse box and it started. Than there was a tick but the tick stopped after we held down the gas pedal for a few to get out extra gas fume build up from tail pipe. And it stopped. But the humming noise stays on after the truck is started and then turned off. The sound lasts for 20 minutes and than we tried starting truck again and now it's back to not starting

Back