Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Clicking from fuse box under the hood & no power

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by dmack10, October 7, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. dmack10

dmack10 New Member

City, State:
      Indianapolis, Indiana
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Ford Explorer xlt
      Hi guys. I'm posting this, but figured out the problem. Hopefully this will help someone else out. I have a 2002 XLT & Just replaced the battery on Tuesday. My daughter drove the truck all week with no trouble & then this morning (Sunday) it wouldn't start. It wouldn't take a jump from my Ford edge & with no keys in the ignition, I could hear a "clicking" from the fuse box. My "theft" light was dimly flashing, but no other dash light would come on when the key was turned. I opened the hood & the fuse box under the hood & put my finger on a couple of the relay switches. I could feel the one clicking & per the manual, it was the "police ivd relay". (Number 51). I went to the local Auto Zone & they didn't carry the part. I went to a local junk yard & found a 2000 Explorer & the relays were the same number. I bought 2, came home & swapped it out and the clicking stopped immediately. I then connected the jumper cables & she fired up after only being connected 10 seconds. Done! Hope this helps out someone else.:exp:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Worcester, MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 XLT V6 4x4
      Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Thanks for posting this. Nice job on the fix!! :biggthump