clicking in low and high 4x4 when turning. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clicking in low and high 4x4 when turning.

hummer34us

Reaction score
City, State
portland or
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
i have a stock 91 xlt. im trying to figure out what this sound is. if im turning on a trail or something and i have it in either 4x4 option it makes a loud pop noise. not alot but once. it seems like it is maybe popping out and back in to 4x4. please help!!!!

hummer34us are you turning sharp when it makes the noise? If so dose it also make the same sound when turning wide (not sharp)
Most 4x4 will make a kind of popping sound and even jerk some when turning sharp with the front locked into 4x4 if the wheels happen to be on hard ground that is almost like black top and not some thing like loose gravel so that the wheels can slip.
Just taking a stab at it as not much info to go on here so thought I would take a chance and see if its the unfamiliar with old school 4x4 and not the new all wheel drive stuff or the full time 4x4 stuff out today as both of them are not that great for off reading unless its fire trails were you just need better grip then say a car.

I know the fist time I had it happen to me I freaked out and years later some how I forgot about it and it got me again LOL! So if that’s it do not feel alone just try to not turn so sharp unless you’re on some loose stuff so the wheels can slip.

If the clunking only occurs when 4x4 is ON then you most likely have a problem with U-Joints and/or HUBs . Over time the seals on U-joints get old/brittle and allow the lubricant to escape and moisture to enter (basically turning the needle bearings into rusted toothpicks). Now that you have engaged 4x4 the front axle shafts are now rotating and the sharper the turn the more articulation is forced on the stub axle U-Joints (located right behind the steering knuckles). A worn/rusted U-joint will pop and grind.

If your hubs are packed with grease the grease can cause engage/disengagement problems. HUBs are a dry assembly only require a thin film of grease for rust protection. Any more than that and they can pop and whine as the grease can hydraulically pre-load the hub..

BTW Never use 4x4 on Dry Pavement. The 4x4 system does NOT have a center differential to even the torque between the front and rear wheels. As such using 4x4 on Dry pavement will stress out the 4x4 system causing popping and other front end stresses and possible breakage.

i have never gone into 4x4 on dry pavement as i know it will cause possible breakage. and i think i need to get my hubs and all that stuyff checked out seeing as i just bought the truck about 5 months ago and taken it offroad twice. i thank you for your imput and i will definately get it checked out soon. :exp:

Back