• Register Today It's free!

Clicking Noise inside Dashboard

sherwing2000

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sports
Any idea what causes the clicking ( crack sound ) sound inside the dashboard. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it sound like a fan running. Or is it a clicking noise that only happens every now and then?

HVAC system calibrating the flaps I think.

Any idea what causes the clicking ( crack sound ) sound inside the dashboard. Thanks

If you're concerned, sherwing2000, you should bring this up to your dealer. If you don't want to make a special trip to have this addressed, you can always mention it the next time you're in for a maintenance appointment. Keep us posted; feel free to contact me via PM if you need my assistance. When messaging, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

I have the same symptom in my 2013 XLT. The sound seems to come from under the center of the dashboard and it's a noticeably loud "click" or "crack" sound... identical to the sound of a small rock hitting the windshield, or the sound of a mechanical relay.

Given the size of the dash, I figured it was expansion/contraction from heat (South Louisiana heat), or that it could be flexing somehow.

The 2013 model is known for having a problem with the fan that draws air in from the cabin to detect its temperature. Several owners have had the fan replaced. IT is behind the small grille to the right of the steering column. Is it possible that is where the noise is coming from?

Peter

Attachments

• P1190047a.jpg
    P1190047a.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 581

I have the same symptom in my 2013 XLT. The sound seems to come from under the center of the dashboard and it's a noticeably loud "click" or "crack" sound... identical to the sound of a small rock hitting the windshield, or the sound of a mechanical relay.

Given the size of the dash, I figured it was expansion/contraction from heat (South Louisiana heat), or that it could be flexing somehow.

I think the OP is experiencing this short sharp crack! sound, due to what you said.
I can reproduce it anytime, leave the garage, let the car heat up (optional-turn AC on) and you will hear it in 5 to 10 minutes.

The 2013 model is known for having a problem with the fan that draws air in from the cabin to detect its temperature. Several owners have had the fan replaced. IT is behind the small grille to the right of the steering column. Is it possible that is where the noise is coming from?

Peter

I'll try to do a better job of pinpointing the source this weekend. Right now I couldn't tell you if it's coming from the fan or from somewhere under the top of the dash.

I suppose it could be a fan blade making intermittent contact with a shroud or something. It happens at odd intervals, but we definitely hear it every time we drive.

Peter

Wondered what that vent was. Thanks, Peter.

Yup!

Zero is correct IMHO. I had a 2002 that had cracking coming from the drivers door. Turned out that sitting with that side to the sun for 8 hours of Arizona sun heated up the plastic snaps that held the trim on. I didn't know until 3 snaps had broke and the trim came loose.

ZeroSignal, have you had any luck trying to pinpoint the noise? Like I mentioned, many 2013 models had that noise and it was the small fan that I previously mentioned. I also see that some Lincolns had a clicking sound and it was traced to the blend door actuator motor. On the Lincoln in question, that motor and door are located behind the glove box. The video showed it was an easy DIY project.

Peter

ZeroSignal, have you had any luck trying to pinpoint the noise? Like I mentioned, many 2013 models had that noise and it was the small fan that I previously mentioned. I also see that some Lincolns had a clicking sound and it was traced to the blend door actuator motor. On the Lincoln in question, that motor and door are located behind the glove box. The video showed it was an easy DIY project.

Peter

It's definitely not coming from the fan vent near the steering column. It sounds like the center of the dash or passenger side. We're taking it up to Baton Rouge this weekend, so I'll spend that hour long drive listening to it.

I have just joined this forum and has been great reading. I have searched but didn't get the answers I wanted.

There is a clicking at very random times from within the dash. I cant duplicate it by changing anything, however it seems to do it randomly while driving. On my 70 mile drive to and from work I here it about 3 times each way.

Thank you for any help

I have just joined this forum and has been great reading. I have searched but didn't get the answers I wanted.

There is a clicking at very random times from within the dash. I cant duplicate it by changing anything, however it seems to do it randomly while driving. On my 70 mile drive to and from work I here it about 3 times each way.

Thank you for any help
Your post has been merged with this one. Check out the link in post #14 to see if that is what you are hearing.

Peter

Your not alone I just bought a 2017 and sound seems to come from behind the radio and on a 70 mile trip to work it does this like 3 times each way.

Have not found anything that triggers it. It just happens but do know if the climate is off it doesn't make the noise. At least I have not heard it.

HI all, not sure if this is the same issue I am having but I thought I would share with you. Among the endless list of problems that I dropped my car off for yesterday (2011 Explorer XLT 77,500 miles) was a clicking in the dash. This would happen for several seconds when I turned the car on and when I turned the car off. It started happening a few months ago when I picked my car up at the dealership from getting an oil change, coincidence?. I just got a call from the dealership with the list of repairs and their costs but specifically for the clicking sound they said I needed a new recirculation damper motor for $228. Not sure if that info will help anyone but thought I would pass it along.

I really don't know where to turn with this vehicle. The dealer just quoted me $2300 for repairs! I have had so many problems over the years with this car. One of the problems I have is the front driver window streaking. Is it a safety issue, no, its a nuisance. Well I reported this problem at 5,000 miles and was told there was nothing wrong...now I found a TSB on the issue AND they want to charge me $310 to repair it because I am outside the warranty!!!

It's really unfair that Ford is aware of so many of the problems their vehicles have yet pass the expense on to their customers...customer who bailed them out when they were in a financial crisis!!! I am going to contact a lawyer at least to see if there is anything I can do. I have kept good notes and records of my dealings over the last few years so I am hopeful that will help.

Sorry for the rant, good luck to all of you Ford owners.

Oh and I can't have my car back until next week because it needs a new master cylinder which needs to be ordered. Off to research how often a master cylinder needs to be replaced as well as rear pads and rotors (this will be the second time).

Welcome to the Forum MERC09.:wave:
Sorry to read about all your problems with the Explorer. The TSB 11-10-9 OILY FILM ON INSIDE FRONT DOOR WINDOW GLASS came out Oct. 9th 2011. There is also one listed in our TSB thread about the ticking 11-11-15 3.5/3.7L - COLD ENGINE STARTUP TICKING NOISE although I'm not sure what the TSB actually says so I'm not sure if it applies. Regarding the master cylinder, I don't recall any posts on that before so I doubt its is a frequent failure issue. There are a few threads here on the brake issues members are having with their Explorers. You can locate them using the 'Search' feature (upper right) that the Forum has.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum MERC09.:wave:
Sorry to read about all your problems with the Explorer. The TSB 11-10-9 OILY FILM ON INSIDE FRONT DOOR WINDOW GLASS came out Oct. 9th 2011. There is also one listed in our TSB thread about the ticking 11-11-15 3.5/3.7L - COLD ENGINE STARTUP TICKING NOISE although I'm not sure what the TSB actually says so I'm not sure if it applies. Regarding the master cylinder, I don't recall any posts on that before so I doubt its is a frequent failure issue. There are a few threads here on the brake issues members are having with their Explorers. You can locate them using the 'Search' feature (upper right) that the Forum has.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I did provide the dealership with those TSB's but they are still charging me $538 for just those 2 repairs. I will argue the window repair since I have documentation from the dealership that I mentioned the issue at 5,000 miles. I'm really at a loss. Thanks for reading my story.

Back