Clicking noise when switching between hot and cold on 3rd gen explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking noise when switching between hot and cold on 3rd gen explorer

Mustang Mike

Reaction score
City, State
Jefferson, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie, 93 xlt, 04 xlt
I have attached pics to aid in replacing the blend door actuator on the 3rd gen xs.

1.jpg

There is 4 "****" that hold the radio bezel on, use a screwdriver and pry the top ones, and use you finger to pop the bottom ones.

2.jpg

Messy but keep working, you'll get it

3.jpg

Scary

4.jpg

what does the wire harness on the left go too?

5.jpg

Inside view of the culprit

6.jpg

gear that breaks

7.jpg

Close up view

Help

Hey Mike. I followed your pics and I see the actuator but I can't figure out how to get to it. It's real tight in there. Can you please explain how you got the screws out. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

ANSWER:

I think the bolts are 7mm
Use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet to get the very top bolt, you have to remove the trim under the steering wheel, then shine a flash light to see the bolt, use about a 10" extension
The use the same ratchet to get the very bottom one, you will need an angle after the socket, or you can use a wrench to get that one. To get the other top one, remove the radio bezel, unplug your 4x4 harness, and you heater controls. You have to use the wrench to get this one.

Putting the actuator in is interesting, feed it through the opening by the radio and crawl under the dash to line up in the hole. Make certain that you have the temp control all the way to cold before removing that way you know what position the blend door is in. Then before you install new actuator, plug it in and go to hot, then back to cold to make sure the new actuator is in the cold position. This actuator moves very slow, don't let that scare you. in fact my old one worked fine out of the car because there was no pressure on the broken gear.

Put the top bolt in first with the long socket. I have to put some glue off of my kids glue stick to hold the bolt in the socket so it doesn't fall off. Then put the lower bolt in, I used my wrench for that one, and the one in the radio spot I didn't even try to put back in, works fine with two in.

Good luck, keep going you'll get it, took my 2 1/2 hours and I am no mechanic!

Let me know if you have any questions or need pictures.

Michael

Back