• Register Today It's free!

Clicking while accelerating

MPatty

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Manual 2x4
I drive a 1991 2-Door Manual Explorer. I was driving around the other day with a buddy and we rolled down the windows. This was when I started to hear a clicking noise as I accelerate. It usually happens in first or 2nd gear, but really as long as I am above 2500 RPM's I can hear it. It is not present when I back up, or when I give the car gas in neutral. I can transition in gears very slow to avoid the noise, but that gets very annoying.

We replaced the clutch about 4 years ago, but other than that the cars been great. It has about 130K miles and we give it regular service. I heard something about the slip yoke? And I'm hoping its not my transmission dieing on me.

I am not a car repair man, but I know my way around a shop and I want to learn cars better, so if you have any advice on how to do the repair myself please include that as well!

Thanks!
MPatty

Exhaust leaks often sound like a clicking noise, and can be tricky to tell where it's coming from if it only does it while driving.

(it took me a while to figaure out where exactly it was coming from)

Im hoping that's what your problem is,lol, because that's an easy fix, hell, you dont even have to fix it, unless it annoys you.

Clicking noises could also be a Valve Tap problem, which is no big deal at first, but can get worse and be dangerous.
(but usually you can hear this plain as day when sitting at Idle)

I'd have a look at the U-joints. Also fliud levels in tranny and t-fer case.

Back