Climate Control Bulb Replacement

3rdFord

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Greetings,
My 05 Explorer has a bulb for the fan and temp setting knob that has burnt out. I looked up the required bulb on Sylvania's website and said it is a 194 bulb.

I took the bulb and socet out, only to find the 194 bulb is bigger that what's installed. The base or holder are light blue in color. Search brings up instrument cluster bulbs. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi -

I know this is way too late, however, in case anyone else runs into this issue...here is what I found on the bulb size: The part number that it comes up as for the bulb behind the climate control panel (there are two bulbs in that area) are 8L8Z-13466-A. I too ordered the size that was indicated on line which were 194 bulbs and then realized those were way too big and would not even sit in there properly as the original bulbs were tiny and had their own blue socket that go into the small board for power. I went to AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts to find that the smallest bulbs they carry are a Sylvania 24 that had a larger body size than what I needed. After much research, I went ahead and bought the Sylvania 24 from Advance and the base did indeed fit in the socket. I was worried the body would be too big and not fit when I closed everything back up, but to my surprise...they fit just fine and worked well in the same blue sockets that were in there. Needless to say, for a 2005 Ford Explorer XLS...the Sylvania 24 bulb does fit behind the climate control knobs. Now that it is so bright in the center dash area, I am going to take apart the instrument cluster and more than likely put some of those same bulbs there too since that area now seems dimmer compared to the center.

Update: The same side of the climate control knobs went out again recently, even after putting that slightly larger bulb in. Went to Advance Auto Parts and found they had a Sylvania 74 bulb in stock which seemed tiny like the OEM bulb that was originally back there. Put the bulb in and indeed it was exactly like the original bulb and it worked as well. So for reference, it is the Sylvania 74 (74LLB.P2). I attached a picture of it below JIC.

Sylvania 74 Bulb.PNG

Update: The same side of the climate control knobs went out again recently, even after putting that slightly larger bulb in. Went to Advance Auto Parts and found they had a Sylvania 74 bulb in stock which seemed tiny like the OEM bulb that was originally back there. Put the bulb in and indeed it was exactly like the original bulb and it worked as well. So for reference, it is the Sylvania 74 (74LLB.P2). I attached a picture of it below JIC.

View attachment 175868

Thanks so much for the tip on the Sylvania 74 bulbs Kay117! Even though the Advance Auto Parts site says "This Part Will Not Fit Your Vehicle" these were perfect for behind the climate control knobs.

A few tips if you need to replace these bulbs.

Be careful and patient removing the black plastic trim from the dashboard. As many have noted it is merely clipped in but those clips are strong and you don't want to break them.

Once you have the bezel off it is best to disconnect the wire harnesses (or the ones that you can disconnect easily) for a little more room to access the blue plastic harness the lights are within. Use a needle nose and turn the blue plastic harness slowly and gently and then pull out. Once those are out again be patient and careful in pulling the bulb out of the harness. They seem like they are 1 self contained unit but the bulbs DO come out. I used a needle nose to try and pull one out but squeezed too hard and smashed it. For the other I used a solid grip between my thumb and fore finger, gently pulling upwards and wiggling until it came out.

Ultimately this is a VERY EASY job. Just take your time and be gentle with these small and delicate parts.

Back