Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Climate Control Bulb Replacement

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by 3rdFord, September 18, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 3rdFord

3rdFord New Member

City, State:
    NJ
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 Explorer XLT
    Greetings,
    My 05 Explorer has a bulb for the fan and temp setting knob that has burnt out. I looked up the required bulb on Sylvania's website and said it is a 194 bulb.

I took the bulb and socet out, only to find the 194 bulb is bigger that what's installed. The base or holder are light blue in color. Search brings up instrument cluster bulbs. What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Kay117

Kay117 New Member

City, State:
    KENNESAW
    2005 Ford Explorer XLS
    Hi -

I know this is way too late, however, in case anyone else runs into this issue...here is what I found on the bulb size: The part number that it comes up as for the bulb behind the climate control panel (there are two bulbs in that area) are 8L8Z-13466-A. I too ordered the size that was indicated on line which were 194 bulbs and then realized those were way too big and would not even sit in there properly as the original bulbs were tiny and had their own blue socket that go into the small board for power. I went to AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts to find that the smallest bulbs they carry are a Sylvania 24 that had a larger body size than what I needed. After much research, I went ahead and bought the Sylvania 24 from Advance and the base did indeed fit in the socket. I was worried the body would be too big and not fit when I closed everything back up, but to my surprise...they fit just fine and worked well in the same blue sockets that were in there. Needless to say, for a 2005 Ford Explorer XLS...the Sylvania 24 bulb does fit behind the climate control knobs. Now that it is so bright in the center dash area, I am going to take apart the instrument cluster and more than likely put some of those same bulbs there too since that area now seems dimmer compared to the center.

4. Kay117

Kay117 New Member

City, State:
    KENNESAW
    2005 Ford Explorer XLS
    Update: The same side of the climate control knobs went out again recently, even after putting that slightly larger bulb in. Went to Advance Auto Parts and found they had a Sylvania 74 bulb in stock which seemed tiny like the OEM bulb that was originally back there. Put the bulb in and indeed it was exactly like the original bulb and it worked as well. So for reference, it is the Sylvania 74 (74LLB.P2). I attached a picture of it below JIC.

Sylvania 74 Bulb.PNG