Clunking coming from passenger front | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clunking coming from passenger front

JMcWane

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Navajo LX
I recently changed out almost the whole front end; ball joint she on both sides, wheel bearings on both sides, and a tie rod end. The ball joints were bad so I decided to change it all out since it would be torn down that far anyway. But after getting an alignment and tires balanced, there is still a bounce and a thunk coming from the passenger front. I am stumped as to what it could be. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the radius arm bushings. When they go bad they can cause a clunk.

I must agree with rick on the radius arm bushings being the cause . there is a chance the axle pivot bushing is bad also . hope this helps you .

What sort of ball joints did you use?

I installed a set of Mevotech joints a few years ago on an Explorer. They were not a proper fit in the camber eccentrics and clunked just like a worn out set from being loose in the eccentric.

What sort of ball joints did you use?

I installed a set of Mevotech joints a few years ago on an Explorer. They were not a proper fit in the camber eccentrics and clunked just like a worn out set from being loose in the eccentric.
I went with Moog, they were highly suggested by other explorer owners, and better than master craft

Do y'all have any pointers on getting the new pivot bushing in. It's being a huge pain, and when I pressed the first one in it deformed the bushing.

i always loosen up & remove the coil spring to make lining up the pivot bushing easier . i use a torch to remove the rubber & leave the outside bushing in place . then after I clean out the liner really good I slick up the new bushing & install . here is a link to the bushing . http://www.dufftuff.com/Axle_Pivot_Bushings_Bronco_II_83_97_4wd_Ranger_p/6390.htm I hope this helps some . if not let us know & we will try to help you .

Back