Clunking Noise ? (4x4)

Harpo

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 X
Hello Everyone,

Well.......I did it, I purchased a 91 Explorer and my son and I are working on it together.

I have been trolling these boards for about 2 months gathering information and I would like to thank you all for your posts.

This is my first post so be gentle with me.

1. When we engage the 4x4 we hear a clunking sound while driving coming from the front of the vehicle. When we disengage the 4x4 there is no sound.

2. The center console is broken. Does anyone know of a good place to get a new one. We were thinking maybe something custom.

3. We want to lift it but don't want a MONSTER truck any ideas ?. I'd like it to do very well off road and fairly well on the street.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this your first 4x4? Some binding/grinding noises are normal for a transfer case 4x4 like yours even when turning in dirt. Are the sounds made on dry pavement (not meant for that), when engaging the 4x4 or all the time?

Check fordpartsnetwork.com or junkyarddog.com for the center console.

There are many 2" to 3" lifts for your truck. Rancho, Duff, Superlift, Pro Comp etc. Check 4wheelparts.com.

Hi and welcome aboard

I'll get flamed for this but here goes:D

1. Does it clunk all the time or just when going in to 4x4? Also don't go into 4x4 on the road only on slippy stuff like mud/sand etc. Possibly the auto hubs engaging or not working. Does it come from one side?

2. See our sponsers Explorer Express they do them. I'm sure there are others as well.

3. see above. Why lift? To fit bigger tyres? If so how high depends on what tyre size your going for. Use the search button and see what others have done.

All the best and happy x-ing:)

Does the 4 wheel drive engage truly. If not you might need to get manual hubs. The auto ones go out fairly often.

I would look at a junk yard first for the concole.

And the lift can be whatever you want.
Pretty much 3"BL -- 31-32" tires.
4" susp. lift -- 33" tires.

Could also be the u-joints in the front axel making all that noise:(

Fantastic

Thank you, this is all good informatioin.

This is my first 4x4 that I want to really off road. The first two were for camping/skiiing so it was light off road.

Actually, my son is the one who wants to go nuts with the off road stuff. At least this is what I'm telling his mother. The funds seem to come more easily when toys are for the kids hehe.

I, unfortunately, am the supplier of funds as he is only 12. I figure this is a great way for him to learn to drive and much safer then a dirt bike(his mom :(..). I want him to be able to work on his own car. I figure this will save me money in the long run.

Back to the questions.....

I will check the hubs first as these seem the cheapest fix if thats the problem. Manual hubs sound like a good idea even if auto hubs aren't broken.

We want clearance and bigger tires.

We don't want a stock console cause it only holds one drink and is very small. We need room for disc changer and some other fancy electronics.

Thanks again for inputs everyone.

Get the kid a quad! its the best thing u can do! something like a 250 four stroke will do :D Thatz wat i got and its a lot safer than a dirt bike and he can actually do it instead of just sit in the passenger seat!! just a thought and idea! Have fun w/your X!!

I will check the hubs first as these seem the cheapest fix if thats the problem. Manual hubs sound like a good idea even if auto hubs aren't broken.

That is a very good idea. My autos died out in the middle of nowhere and had to be helped out of where I was.

As far as lifts, if you are the $$ supplier.
BL -- $100 + $300 (labor)
Susp -- $1700 + ?(labor)

then add what ever tire/ and rim.

Back