Cluster Replacement and Odometer Reading | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cluster Replacement and Odometer Reading

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
Hi all, I recently swapped out my instrument cluster due to the gauges not reading properly. This is on a 2003 Explorer XLT. Install went well and everything works great, only issue is the odometer. It now reads exactly 30k less (coincidence or other issue I'm not sure) than it did with the old cluster. The intention for the swap was obviously for a repair and not to depict lower miles. I have a paper stating to add this amount to the displayed mileage to arrive at the true mileage on the vehicle. What other steps do I need to take to make sure this is all legal with no issues? Only thing I am worried about is inspection. It's not due for another 11 months but I don't want to fail for it reading the wrong mileage.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is new to me! I've always thought the mileage was stored in the ECU and the instrument cluster was just a display that showed whatever the ECU tells it to.

Since it is exactly 30K less I am wondering if it is a display issue.

I don't know what state you are in but here in Texas vehicles over 10 years old are exempt from mileage reporting.

I would think that the only time it would be a problem is if you sold it and the mileage that you showed on the title was less than it was when you bought it.

If they record the mileage at inspection then it might show. But if you show that you changed the cluster it should not be a problem.

Also what TechGuru said seems to be true in a lot of states. TN don't put anything on the title over 100,000 miles.

Bob T
:usa:

TechGuru, I thought the same thing! but it's apparently stored on the circuit board inside the cluster somewhere. It is possible to swap just the odometer unit, but it's a lot of disassembly

TechGuru, I thought the same thing! but it's apparently stored on the circuit board inside the cluster somewhere. It is possible to swap just the odometer unit, but it's a lot of disassembly

Looks like it has to be done with a expensive programming tool:

You should be able to swap the portion that displays mileage from your original unit, as long as it was functioning properly. The tool to set it yourself is $500 or so, you can Goigle it.

There ought to be a speedometer shop local that can fix it. Might check with the dealer to see what they say.

Edit: it appears they can be had for less than $500.

Back