• Register Today It's free!

Clutch master cylinder

steelynirvana

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
How common is it for the clutch master cylinder to go bad?
Here's what I have going on. I has a clutch and slave cylinder put in back in March of '14. My mechanic said he used a LUK clutch kit and slave cylinder. Last September I started having issues with the clutch not disengaging and the pedal easily going to the floor. A couple pumps would restore pressure. Started losing fluid. This winter was real bad, couldn't hardly keep fluid in it, sometimes it would be ok, and sometimes I would have to to pump it a few times to get it to disengage.

I have been driving it all this week back and forth to work, topping it off in the mornings. Its about a 16 mile round trip. Tonight I took it on a 50 mile round trip a couple towns over. All was fine except for one time, I pressed it in, straight to the floor, let it come back up and had pressure and it disengaged fine. Checked fluid level and it was full. I do have lots of brake fluid on the drivers side transmission. I pulled the rubber inspection port cover and the pressure plate and slave cylinder looked dry from what I could see.

I am thinking the clutch master cylinder is going bad, I swear ive heard a squishing/squirting sound when ive lightly hit the pedal, just enough to move. Just wondering if this could be my problem before I spend the money to have my mechanic really look into it.

Thanks in advance

Any part can go bad, and the master would be suspect since you did replace the slave two years ago. But, you're leaking a lot of fluid, you should find where it's going. You mention brake fluid on the side of the trans, but how does it get there? If it's the master, the fluid would have to be running down the length of the hydraulic hose and then drip on the trans. Maybe it the coupling? Try to find the source before you just replace parts.

I'd think if the master was bad, it'd be leaking inside the cab. As RangerX stated, need to find the source.

Back