Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Code P0125 and P0401

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Firstimeford, August 3, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Firstimeford

Firstimeford New Member

City, State:
      Little Elm, Texas
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '01 Sport Trac 4X4
      Hi guys,
      I recently bought a one owner 66,000 mile 2001 Sport Trac 4X4. From the looks of it, everything is still original equipment. The first thing I had to do was replace the worn out factory shocks. The second day I had it, I got a "check engine" light and the scan revealed a P0125 Low Coolant Temperature. When looking under the hood for loose wires or vacuum lines, I noticed that the upper radiator hose was routed in front of the oil filler tube. This caused the hose to "crimp" partially closed in two places. I routed the hose behind the oil filler tube which staightened out the crimps and haven't had the same code since.
      I noticed when I was replacing the shocks that the boots on ALL my ball joints are cracked! Is this common after only 66,000 miles? I traded in a 1995 S10 Chevy with 245,000 miles on it and the ball joint boots were still intact. Also, on my 1998 Z28 the ball joints are fine after 200,000 miles.
      Now I'm getting code P0401 Insufficient EGR Flow. Guess I'll be replacing the DPFE sensor. The EGR valve shouldn't be defective or clogged after only 66,000 miles should it?
      Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. REBEL420

REBEL420 New Member

City, State:
      Ft.Worth , Texas
      Try blowing the lines out that go to it

4. beachn974door

beachn974door Active Member

City, State:
      South Mills, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '01 Sport Trac
      The P0125 was more than likely set by your thermostat sticking open at one time or another. The P0401, DPFE is shorted. Just replace it.
      As far as the ball joints go, just because the boots are torn doesn't mean they are bad. They are jut now exposed to the elements and will have play sooner than if the boots were not torn. I have owned 3 explorers now and replaced the lower ball joints anywhere between 75,000 and 110,000 miles. All of them had torn boots but I didn't replace any of them until there was play felt. At work I do the same. I let customers know if the boot is torn but I don't try to sell them unless they have play.