code p0455 and "missing" on 96 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

code p0455 and "missing" on 96 Explorer XLT

Magoo92

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
First off, I'm new to the boards and I'm not very auto savvy so any advice or direction is greatly appreciated.
1996 Explorer XLT
1) Check engine light came on and was told it was a fuel exhaust leak
2) when traveling up an incline at about 50 mph there is a lunging in the vehicle. No noise at all, just the lunging.
My question(s) is this...are these related, are these things that I can fix myself...I'm unemployed so not much cash, but plenty of time.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Please have the codes re read, and write the actual code sequence down. Fuel exhaust leak makes no sense. Without the actual code number, nothing can be done other than guessing

Post the results here.

Yep, you need to post the actual code. Then you will be able to get some help. Lunging, what exactly do you mean? My 96 does that to at times, then goes away. I have a bit of a head gasket leak, and figure a plug may be getting fouled for a bit. When mine does that, it is more like a big miss, it comes and goes when it does it. Then clears up and runs normally for many miles. If that is what yours is doing, I would pull the plugs and see what they look like. Do the easiest things first.

As far as the "lunging/missing" I'll try the plugs first thing tomorrow. I had Advanced Auto check for the code and it's p0455. EVAP control system leak. I took the gas cap off and put it back on since that would be the easiest solution. What else could be the problem and is it something that I can fix myself or am I going to need professional help?

Back