Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Code P0741 TCC Per/Stuck Off

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by politew, January 9, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. politew

politew New Member

City, State:
      stafford, Virginia
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 XLT
      Anyone know anything about this issue?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ExplorerDMB

ExplorerDMB Moderator/Technician Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mechanicsville, Virginia
      2004 Acura TL
      P0741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

This has to deal with transmissions. You may have a bad solenoid. You will get more help in the transmission forum. I am moving this thread to there. It'll still be open for discussion. Good luck

-Drew

4. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      actually that code definition is slightly different between the 5R55E and later variants like the W/S and N. In the E, that code references TCC "slippage". It is one of those codes that is prickly, in that it can be electrical, but can also be hardware related (like bad friction material or fluid, etc). That said.... what is MORE important in the E with that code is the actual symptoms you are experiencing. Lack of TCC lockup will usually show up as higher than expected RPMS. Then again not everyone KNOWS what the "right" rpms have been for a specific gear.

Do you notice any "symptoms"? Feel? etc ?

Let me think out loud here. A high mileage 5R55E usually suffers from an EPC that has seen its best days. Similarly, the TCC solenoid also wears. (Both of these are "modulated", and vibrate constantly and DO wear out). Now....let me say...I really HATE throwing parts at a fix.... but a fluid flush, drop pan, new filter and those two solenoids replaced *COULD* do it. And if they do not and you planned a rebuild, it would not be money wasted.

On the other hand ... your TC lockup clutch could be failing, but frankly I think few fail except for when they slip for too long because of too little pressure for their engagement, or on reman when they weren't done right.

I am betting your hydraulic pressures are *fubar* because of the EPC, and an aging TCC solenoid isn't helping.

Lastly, the computer could be to blame. MUCH as I hate this, try disconnecting your battery for half an hour and reconnecting. See if that helps the "programmed slip".

Plan for a a few weeks to a month for the computer to relearn everything. (sigh). I do NOT like unplugging the computer by disconnecting the battery as a "throw it at the problem" kinda fix. You lose a lot. [Go visit the Computer sub-forum in the Under the Hood Forum and read up on it.]

Also..... read the 5R55E valve body rebuild diary.

*fubar - F*cked up beyond all repair/recognition - [if this is it the EPC will REPAIR it. Most likely.]

That is my best take. Sorry it is not more definitive.

Last edited: January 10, 2006
    5. MountaineerGreen

MountaineerGreen Towing Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      North East Arkansas
      2012 F150 4x4
      Thread From The Dead!

I found this thread, which kind of answers the question I have, but is there anything else/more that applies to my 4R70W tranny?

Ive had no problems to date with the trans except when my TPS wire grounded out on my headers and caused lockup problems. I fixed the wire and the lockup problem went away.

I dont know how it acted because I wasn't driving when the od light was flashing, my wife was driving and couldn't tell me anything about what was going on :rolleyes:

I pulled the code and reset it, drove a short distance home and no light came back on.

6. Glacier991

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      In the 4R70W code P0741 relates to excessive slippage. The symptoms listed for it are "excessive slippage detected during normal operation, or no torque convertor clutch operation." The FORD manual refers you to determine the symptoms you feel during operation and then directs you to diagnose that.

In other words, when you get the TCIL (OD light) what do you feel? slipping? soft shifts? in what gears, etc...do you have TCC lockup? Etc.

7. orangeX

orangeX New Member

City, State:
      Edmonton, Alberta
      '98 eddie
      I just paid $320.00 to find out why my Od/off light flashed on my 98 5.0 litre with a 4R70W Tranny. The DTC code is P0761 and according to TSB 01-5-4. This maybe caused by the Output Shaft Speed Sensor (OSS) signal being improperly processed by the PCM. The ford tech. said to flush or drain the fluid and recalibrate as suggested by the TSB. In other words the OSS is giving the PCM false readings. This can be caused by too more metal in the fluid, therefore I suggest you flush the tranny and have the TSB done. Your friendly Canadian AAh.

8. Glacier991

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      Great assist there OrangeX!! Thanks ! Added to the collective database. If you have the full text of that TSB, why not post it in it's own thread and I will find a place for it... maybe start a Transmission TSB stickie. With props to this adding to it.

9. 97Ford_Exploder

97Ford_Exploder New Member

City, State:
      Pennsylvania
      97explorer
      code P0741 problem here too. I went to the dealer friday and had it checked out ,cost was $122.43 to clear the code . I drove 100 miles and the od light pops on again.The description on the invoice is "torque converter slipped more than expected". I didn't go back to the dealer today I just disconnected the negative cable and reconnected 10 minutes later drove the truck shifted smooth now the real test is driving it over 65mph thats when the light comes on. So my question here is why does it run ok and then after a 100 miles it starts to raise up the rpm from 2400 to 3200? What is the proper fix rather than change this and that? The dealer should know about this instead of charging this amount to clear it out I wanted the vehicle fixed any suggestions about a revisit to the dealer?

10. evansth1

evansth1 New Member

2007 Ford
      I went to AAMCO shop and they did a multi-point inspection which revealed that my fluid level is OK but my problem is that the transmission is shifting harsh from 2nd to 3rd, shifting late throughout all the gears, and a computer scan revealed the following code: P0741 TCC system performance3 torque converterslip is greater than expected.

As he was walking me through this, he told me that my entire transmission would have to be rebuilt. Which would cost me $2000+. I don't know much about cars so I took it to an actual Ford dealer. He told me that my Solenoid Shift shaft would need to be replaced costing me $1000+. I don't know who to believe or what to believe... can anyone help me with this?

Thank you!

11. JK080

JK080 Transmission Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      North Ga
      05 F250 6.0
      2007 Ford what? I am assuming an Explorer but what engine size? and do you what tranny? 5 speed or 6 speed auto. It will be either a 5R55S or W or a 6R60.

I dont know what a solenoid shift shaft is or a grand for any solenoid seems out of line. The P0741 code could be a bad converter or pump or valve body or a combination of those. The shop wants to build the whole thing so they can address all the areas for this problem and the other trouble spots in this transmission that are known for failure. This way the whole trans will be under a warranty and they will know for sure that all the other parts inside have been checked, updated, or replaced insuring that you shouldn't have any more issues.

12. evansth1

evansth1 New Member

2007 Ford
      It's a 2007 ford explorer sports trac. It's a 6 cylinder engine... past that I don't know what kind of engine it is.

The Ford dealer said that Solenoid shift was going to need to be replaced and that plus the labor was $1000. If it is a bad converter or valve body are they exaggerating or do I really need to get the whole transmission fixed?

13. ZabDog

ZabDog New Member

City, State:
      Nebraska
      2002 explorer
      Hey guys hope your around to answer my questions. Found out my 02 Explorer has the code PO741 (Torque Converter) my transmission seems to be running fine and shifting from gear to gear seems fine. The O/D off light flashes after about 8-10 minutes of driving. Any help should i pay a shop $90 to tell me the solenoids are bad?

14. PopRichie77

PopRichie77 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Quakertown, PA
      2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
      Like was said in the previous posts P0741 is a torque converter problem, and can be cause by many things, and every trans that gets this can be different. It is slipping or not locking up. It could be a solenoid or several other things, you all ready know what the code is and getting it read again won't pin point the problem any further. Replacing the TC and EPC solenoid or valve body might fix the problem, but if the problem is caused by to much internal leakage, then a rebuild is needed. Sorry but there usually is no easy fix or answer for a p0741 code and yes all other gears may shift fine.
      Everytime you turn the engine off it resets the computer but does not erase the stored code. After driving for a while as soon as the computer sees the torque converter slipping or not locking up 2 or 3 times it will flash the OD light.

15. hmease010

hmease010 New Member

03 Ford Explorer Eddie Ba
      I just had this code pop up too on my 03 ford explorer v6. I'm freaking out because i can't afford this huge rebuild bill heck i can't even afford half the bill. When I'm driving everything shifts fine and the light doesn't always come on. It came on twice in the last 72 hours. I just don't want to have to get rid of it since i love my explorer and i owe over 6 grand on it.

16. imp

imp Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      Bring the vehicle up to cruise speed, 50-55 mph with minimum throttle, then very lightly increase gas pedal. If tachometer immediately shows increase in RPM, the Torque Converter Clutch has not engaged. Why? Look at code(s). If you want to, you can drive the vehicle with no TCC forever, at an increased cost of fuel about 4-5%. I drove mine home on vacation 2000 miles with no TCC, light flashing all the way, replaced solenoid module, trouble gone. imp

17. hmease010

hmease010 New Member

How much is it to fix the solenoid? The light only comes on when I'm either going uphill and/or going over 45.

18. imp

imp Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      Assuming this is a 5R55S transmission, the '03 programming should be identical to my '04. Never engages TCC until all shifts, 1st, 2nd., 3rd., 4th., 5th., have been completed. You can see the "6th" dip on the tach (if it's working correctly), after the first 4 dips have been seen. (first tach dip is 2nd. gear, second dip 3rd. gear., etc). It is not necessarily the TCC solenoid at fault. P0741 reads "Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off". Stuck off covers the possibility the solenoid itself, which is inside the oil pan, is not operable, and is in the "off" position". That's what happened to mine; the bronze guide for the plunger had crumbled to pieces. The trouble COULD be In the clutch itself, a mechanical or hydraulic problem, but likely not, since the computer is seeing "circuit" trouble.

The individual solenoids are not replaceable. All 8 are mounted to a "module", so all get replaced at once. I bought mine on Ebay for about $165, brand new Bosch in the box. Cleaned the bronze debris off the top of the valve body, and in the pan. Installed an in-line fluid filter just to be sure. I hoped no fine bits were in the converter itself, but most pieces were good-sized. That fixed it. 55,000 miles ago. imp

19. hmease010

hmease010 New Member

Can bad transmission fluid cause check transmission light? I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong with my explorer.

20. imp

imp Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      Only if the fluid is carrying debris about, which can cause valves to stick,. solenoids to malfunction, etc . The key to transmission longevity it cleanliness. Unfortunately, as various component failures occur, debris of various kinds gets thrown into the flow of fluid. This may or may not cause trouble. imp

21. Cowabunga

Cowabunga New Member

City, State:
      AZ
      2002 Explorer Auto v6 2x4
      Hi. I know this is an old thread, but did you figure out what was wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: March 8, 2018
    22. imp

imp Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      @Cowabunga
      If you are experiencing similar difficulty, OD OFF light flashing, but shifts seem normal, watch your tachometer as you accelerate easily from a standstill with minimal throttle used to get up to say 55 mph. If the tach reading drops only 4 times, the Torque Converter Clutch has not engaged; that shows up as a 5th. drop in eng. rpm. This assumes you have a 5-speed auto. The 4-speed autos are similar, but with one less visible drop in eng. speed. imp

• Like Like x 1
    23. Cowabunga

Cowabunga New Member

City, State:
      AZ
      The od light was flashing when I reached about 45 mph. Shifted strong and fine.
      Last week when driving, it lost torque. Wouldn’t move except in 2nd gear. Had codes read yesterday and the torque converter clutch code came up.

Torque converter clutch code. Bad.

1st gear ratio.

Transmission intermediate fault.

The guy who looked at it said that it is the torque converter that went out and it would be a 50/50 chance that replacing it will solve the problem. He doesn’t know if other parts got damaged because it broke.

Does this even sound like it is a possibility?

I don’t trust anyone.

24. imp

imp Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Missouri Ozarks
      2004 XLT
      @Cowabunga
      The only reference the computer (PCM) can check with respect to the Torque Converter Clutch itself is whether or not it is engaging. It's actual mechanical condition, whether broken or whatever, is beyond the ability of the electronics to know about. The fact that other issues are present, wouldn't move except in 2nd. gear, suggests problems within the transmission itself. imp

25. Cowabunga

Cowabunga New Member

City, State:
      AZ

26. Cowabunga

Cowabunga New Member

City, State:
      AZ