• Register Today It's free!

code reading without code reader?

watermellon

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
white 1989 ranger, 2.3l
I've got an '89 2.3l ranger with a EFI system. I was reading in my Haynes manual and it states that the obd system's trouble codes can be read by simply grounding the STI and GND terminals with a jumper wire. When this is done you simply count the long and short flashes of the check engine light, then look up the NUMBER in the trouble code section to find out what the number means. HELP.

This sounds pretty simple; but, no where in the Hayne's manual does it show a diagram or photo of how to ground the STI and GND nor does the manual show which slots the STI and GND actually are.

If anyone has ever done OBD code reading like this before and could help me out, please do. I haven't got an obd reader nor do I know anyone who does.

The manual also states that an analog reader can be used to read the code. I haven't got one of those. But I do have a multimeter. Can that be used instead of the analog meter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question here: are EEC IV, obd 1, and obd 2 all hooked up the same way? From reading the information you sent me Dr. Doom, I'm assuming they are but I'm not sure. I'm sure my ranger has obd 1.

Also would anything burn out or get wrecked if I happen to not properly ground a wire or hook one up properly?

EEC-IV is Ford's designation for OBD-1
OBD-2 is designated as EEC-V.

Diagnostic hook up for EEC-V/OBD-2 is very different from EEC-IV/OBD-1. EEC-V requires a scanner where EEC-IV does not.

All '84 to '94 Ford's are EEC-IV/OBD-1 and most '95's.
US Federal regulations required all vehicles sold in the US beginning with the '96 model year to be OBD-2 compliant, so all Ford's '96 and later are EEC-V/OBD-2.

All that to say that for your '89, you will be using EEC-IV/OBD-1 diagnostic protocols, and you can effectively ignore anything pertaining to OBD-2/EEC-V

lso would anything burn out or get wrecked if I happen to not properly ground a wire or hook one up properly?
I'm sure there are certain "possibilities" for damage if you really try. If you use the self-test connector and follow the instructions that you've been directed to, it should be difficult to short something that will cause damage.

Thanks for answering my questions MrShorty. Everything's clear now.

Back