• Register Today It's free!

Cold air box idea

Scotts96sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 5.0 rwd
So here is my plan as so far. The ABS doesn’t work, so I’m going to delete that, put a washer reservoir where it used to be, and put an aluminum overflow next to the radiator. That will make room for a box where the oem tanks were. I’ll make it from steel with a plexiglass cover, and find some kind of rain cap to install through the hood. I’ll have to do it in a way I can switch it out for a prefilter, like on a tractor. Thoughts?

I was thinking of going through the cowel but I don’t see room in the fire wall, and I don’t thing there is room for a prefilter there.

Prefilter because I plan on playing in the sand, and I’ve never seen one on the hood, just on a snorkel.

C361921C-0AB5-448A-820A-354C17BB825E.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I say leave Tanks alone - Build an enclosure in that Front corner, go thru the Fender Wall about 1 inch fm ur Filter & keep ur existing Snorkel - & Yes ur Upper Rad Hose is roasting ur Intake Snorkel like most 5.0's so that's GOTTA be sorted out TOO - VERY recent thread here for some good ideas & pix - Does a cold air intake

I did zip tie it directly to the hose as a temporary measure. Lol
Thanks for the link!

So quick update on where I’m at with this. I need to go buy a couple hole saws to get this done. But I think it’s going to be awesome!
I think I’ll make the box from aluminum sheet and rivet it together. Or steel and weld not sure.

B06D6723-4FB4-43B7-8E2B-BDA47B92BD34.jpeg

4D5DD415-70A4-4643-8FD9-56368E8519F1.jpeg

Just wondering... wouldn’t it be a good idea to turn the direction of the snorkel around so that rain would not get forced into it?

Just wondering.

I’d turn it backwards for semis on the highway and splashing. With that much bend I can’t image any ram air effect.

Best would be straight up with a cap, though.

It’ll give it a real finished snorkel look.

Yeah, I said in the beginning I wanted to use a prefilter. It’s in the mail, I just took that pic for fun, it’s got a yellow submarine vibe to it! Lol.
Probably going to fab a snorkel top for dry days, ram air rat rod style. Also I’M going to switch out the top pipe with some aluminum so I don’t have to paint it.
Also thinking about adding a drain plug in the bottom of the first 90, and in the eventual air box.
I’m surprised nobody said anything about how the factory rubber coupling fits the OD of 3” PVC on the 90 coupling and the straight pipe. It’s like they made it for it lol

EF3DF3DF-B3D0-4990-AE2F-4EA774BFEC25.jpeg

Cleaned up and flared the hole in the fender today. Need to get something other than hose to use on the edge. I might paint over the hammer marks...

167C637D-64D3-4577-942C-2F5F517A0B72.jpeg

0B54FAD4-6547-4A08-B71F-F8184ACD663B.jpeg

Looking good!

Well done.

You’ll have to clear an aluminum pipe. Aluminum doesn’t rust, but it corrodes terribly.

Cool, and just about the right size for a tennis ball.

I think I'd put a top on fast that doesn't let many objects in.;)

You know how ups is, it will get here one day.

Question how is it all attached under the hood? I like how you moved things under the hood.

One step closer! Looks like I’ll have enough room for a battery up front! Need to fab that box this weekend.

8DDDB13B-293D-4440-B6F4-C378F89826E9.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back