Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion

Mdesign probably could better answer, I just know the posts I have seen on other fourum guys are also tuned. I have an LMS tune.

I wouldn't think a intake would have an effect on the build up. I think a combo of the two however could.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't think a intake would have an effect on the build up. I think a combo of the two however could.

Time to get yourself a tune! I can't say enough good things about Livernois tunes. I have been a customer since 2012.

Time to get yourself a tune! I can't say enough good things about Livernois tunes. I have been a customer since 2012.

i just hate it voiding the factory warranty..

i just hate it voiding the factory warranty..

Thats definately a decision you have to make because noone will guarantee against that. I have had a 93Octane tune on my previous car (Sho) from 500 miles to 30k with no issue. Everytime I went for service I detuned. My XSPORT has the 93 Octane + 3bar+ thermostat. I put that tune on at 500 miles and have 8600 miles now. When I went in for the first service I just swapped map sensors takes not even 3 minutes to do and detunednagain. This is the most aggressive tune Livernois offers and still no issues. I could not drive stock after running this tune!

Thats definately a decision you have to make because noone will guarantee against that. I have had a 93Octane tune on my previous car (Sho) from 500 miles to 30k with no issue. Everytime I went for service I detuned. My XSPORT has the 93 Octane + 3bar+ thermostat. I put that tune on at 500 miles and have 8600 miles now. When I went in for the first service I just swapped map sensors takes not even 3 minutes to do and detunednagain. This is the most aggressive tune Livernois offers and still no issues. I could not drive stock after running this tune!

I agree! I put mine back to stock this week, and just no comparison. Tuned is a thousand times better.

It's short money for what it does to the Sport. Stock tune is terrible compared to the 93 3 bar performance tune. The performance and shift points turn it into a whole different experience that you won't regret. It is that much better...

Anyone have an issue with CAI's when taking their sport to the dealer for servicing? I understand tunes being reset back to stock... but CAI for 2015 sport won't pass California emissions (which I'm not worried about yet) but am worried about the dealer having an issue with it and possible voiding my warranty?

Never had an issue I had the AirRaid on my 2013 SHO never once an issue and I had that car serviced at 2 dealers. My Xsport was just in for service a couple weeks ago no problem.

THanks... I'm wondering if New York has as strict regulations as california? I couldn't even get a k&n CAI sent to me because I'm in california... which I'm glad... because I think I'm gonna go with the mdesign CAI instead with a livernois tune

Anyone have an issue with CAI's when taking their sport to the dealer for servicing? I understand tunes being reset back to stock... but CAI for 2015 sport won't pass California emissions (which I'm not worried about yet) but am worried about the dealer having an issue with it and possible voiding my warranty?

Don't worry about it..MA is very strict with every cars...stupid tint laws..inspection fees ect ect...it's fine

10409129_10204013495117708_4752554259499911165_n.jpg

here is mine

My mdesign CAI came in this past weekend. opened it up and realized there's a hairline fracture in the scoop... it's running along the lines of the 3d printing so it's hardly noticeable... but it's there. emailed mdesign about it and they want me to ship it back in order to get a new one. kind of a pain in the ass so just gonna get it in and hope I don't lose any airflow because of it. They should of just said "don't worry about it, we'll send you out a new one ASAP.

My mdesign CAI came in this past weekend. opened it up and realized there's a hairline fracture in the scoop... it's running along the lines of the 3d printing so it's hardly noticeable... but it's there. emailed mdesign about it and they want me to ship it back in order to get a new one. kind of a pain in the ass so just gonna get it in and hope I don't lose any airflow because of it. They should of just said "don't worry about it, we'll send you out a new one ASAP.

lots of people are dinks....unfortunately that means companies need the orig back before they ship out a new one. They could have sent you another and you could have kept both ect ect. Nightmare that happens for companies so i see why they don't

CAI question new to the fourm

Ive been floating the forum for a few months now. Lots of good information all the way around. Any way on to the question. I have hit every intake thread and i cant decide on a livernois tune kit with the wind storm CAI or the Mdesign CAI and just get the tune plugs and stat separately from livernois. I also plan on doing either the magnaflow 15218 or just replacing the mufflers alone.
Thanks in advance.

No one has an opinion on the 2 intakes? Ready to get my order ON! lol

K&N air intake and factory warranty

Just got my K&N air intake for my 2015 Ford Explorer v6, 3.5. I'm not sure this matters if I install it or not but I want to get a vibe for how this might impact the factory warranty (if it does at all) or the tech that might have to work under the hood.
Its easy enough to take in and replace with the factory air intake if necessary but I'd rather not. I have not read any warranty issues so far unless there is a general blanket statement by Ford that prevents anyone from tinkering with anything under the hood.

Just got my K&N air intake for my 2015 Ford Explorer v6, 3.5. I'm not sure this matters if I install it or not but I want to get a vibe for how this might impact the factory warranty (if it does at all) or the tech that might have to work under the hood.
Its easy enough to take in and replace with the factory air intake if necessary but I'd rather not. I have not read any warranty issues so far unless there is a general blanket statement by Ford that prevents anyone from tinkering with anything under the hood.
If something goes wrong and they trace it back to the installation of the air intake then whatever needs to be fixed will not be covered under the warranty. There are several posts in this thread that mention the same thing.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I've fairly new to this forum and when I searched I found nothing pertaining to a cold air intake- which is what I am installing. I'll try again.

Additionally, of course they will try to trace it back. Any warranty makes me nervous but again I would really like this vehicle to sound like something instead of a Focus. So, it's going it!

I have the MDesign CAI on my 2015 Sport, and while it looks really pretty, I don't expect it really adds much in the way of performance. It was my first mod, and if I had it to do over again, I would skip the CAI and go right to a tune (can't say enough about Torrie). That's where you get the most bang for your buck.

I think the general consensus is that CAI kits don't do much, if anything, for performance.

I asked some of the Ford engine people about the purchase of a CAI. The Chief Engineer on the Explorer platform told me to not bother because there has never been any legit testing that proves a performance gain with CAI alone. I thought I knew better and bought one by INJEN.

It was a POS so it was removed immediately.

It changes one thing only and thats sound, I actually think MPG went down.

If someone tells you otherwise ask for factual test results, not hearsay and opinion.

The Ford guys mentioned that the CAI products are one of the biggest scams in aftermarket vehicle accessory world, the comment was "do you really think we wouldn't use a different design if it gave a benefit in MPG or HP?"

They look pretty and sound different, that's it.

As was said above, skip the CAI and buy a tune from Livernois, SCT, or one of the others, it changes the Sport to a different beast.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back