Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion

I am looking for cold air intake for my 2016 explorer sport, the only company actually sell kit for 2016 is KnN. And the KnN part number for 2013-2016 kit are the same.

Based on this, can I safely assume the AFE or Airaid kit for 2014-2015 will work for my 2016?

You are correct. Both of these intakes and the LMS's own intake will work for a 2016.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info. Now I need to figure out which one to order.

Anyone know if cold air intake require tune?

Anyone know if cold air intake require tune?

It does not. But without a tune, its just a noise maker as the ecu will adjust to maintain preset engine output.

It does not. But without a tune, its just a noise maker as the ecu will adjust to maintain preset engine output.

Cool. I am going to wait a little before tune. Gonna put some miles on her first. So just minor ricer mod for now.

Cool. I am going to wait a little before tune. Gonna put some miles on her first. So just minor ricer mod for now.
Have you read the last page or so of the following thread?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364440
Seems to me that these filters are a waste of money and the only benefit is to the manufacturer's 'bottom line'. ;)
Also, the units that have a metal/aluminum intake tube will actually warm up the air that is pulled in because the tube itself will warm up due to the engine's heat.

Peter

Have you read the last page or so of the following thread?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364440
Seems to me that these filters are a waste of money and the only benefit is to the manufacturer's 'bottom line'. ;)
Also, the units that have a metal/aluminum intake tube will actually warm up the air that is pulled in because the tube itself will warm up due to the engine's heat.

Peter

I figure just give AFE a try. Not looking for power gain but rather for sound.

There is an important note to add in here. Without tuning the car will compensate for the additional air flow (if any) by subtracting fueling. Thus keeping your parameters the same. Tuning is the only way to actually your vehicle, because the ECM runs the show.

sorry I have to ask.

tuning is the only way to actually - what - your vehicle?

I believe you missed a couple of words. However I agree with where you are going with the statement.

you don't have to tune the car after the intake mod- same is true of many mods - but you'll never get all the potential out of the mod without re-tuning the car.

*to actually get the return from your mod.

Figure if I am going to void or running the chance to void the warranty, at least put some miles on her before doing that. But I want the noise first.

There is an important note to add in here. Without tuning the car will compensate for the additional air flow (if any) by subtracting fueling. Thus keeping your parameters the same. Tuning is the only way to actually your vehicle, because the ECM runs the show.

So with an air intake it the air flow is actually more than stock, it will subtract fuel? does that mean better gas mileage with an intake? 3.5 eco boost question

So with an air intake it the air flow is actually more than stock, it will subtract fuel? does that mean better gas mileage with an intake? 3.5 eco boost question
See my post 267. There are posts where it's stated that the mpgs actually dropped a little. According to some, these filters don't do that great a job of actually filtering the air. Read through this thread and another and form your own opinion; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364440&highlight=cai
You should also refer to the Warranty Guide re 'Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification'.

Peter

well they aren't a waste, but if I was to buy one it would be for power gains at wide open throttle, or more intake noise I guess. Cheapest way to gain mileage is to toss out all those extra seats, any carpet and insulation and spare tire, the lighter the vehicle is the less fuel is used to move it :).

well they aren't a waste, but if I was to buy one it would be for power gains at wide open throttle, or more intake noise I guess. Cheapest way to gain mileage is to toss out all those extra seats, any carpet and insulation and spare tire, the lighter the vehicle is the less fuel is used to move it :).
Easiest way is to keep it around 60 mph on the highway. Guaranteed better mpg especially if you're used to going over that speed.;)

Peter

I kept the cruise control off and kept stabbing the gas pedal and brake with the interior removed with those fancy intakes, no wonder it didn't make a difference :(

Easiest way is to keep it around 60 mph on the highway. Guaranteed better mpg especially if you're used to going over that speed.;)

Peter

Those of you got the cold air intake, can you hear turbo whistle and BOV?

Curious as to how often you guys check on your CAI. I have the Mdesign intake and haven't yet checked it since installation.

Those of you got the cold air intake, can you hear turbo whistle and BOV?

I have the LMS cai and now I can hear it, it's not that loud but I never heard it with the stock air box. There's some YouTube videos in the LMS channel where you can hear it. throttle sound is a little louder, I like it like that.
Even my wife noticed it the first time she used it after I installed it.
She was like "what's that whistling noice when I'm driving?"
(Me) ....mmm..the turbos...
(Wife) I've never heard that noice before!
(Me)... It was always there just pay more attention to your vehicle
(Wife) really?
(Me) yea!... Oh! another thing, don't press the gas too hard, it may scare you.

Curious as to how often you guys check on your CAI. I have the Mdesign intake and haven't yet checked it since installation.

Filter should be checked at least every oil change. (Or at least that's when I check it and clean it, it's better to be safe than sorry.) Or if your vehicle is mostly used in a dusty environment like off roading, it should be checked more often. But check with your manufacture instructions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Filter should be checked at least every oil change. (Or at least that's when I check it and clean it, it's better to be safe than sorry.) Or if your vehicle is mostly used in a dusty environment like off roading, it should be checked more often. But check with your manufacture instructions.

Yeah i haven't checked mine in a long time. Mostly because it's a pain to get out and get back in again. And there is really no place for me to check unless i take apart the entire tube...because all you can see is the small hole though and that's it. I will have to do that maybe next weekend

Actually just found this on their website:

Our MDesign Performance Carbon Cold Air Intake kits use a lifetime high-flow cotton filter that is user serviceable and should be serviced every 100,000 miles. The filter can be removed from the carbon fiber enclosure to allow for cleaning with a standard cotton filter cleaning kit. After cleaning of the filter the user also has the option to apply filter oil or to remain using the filter as a dry filter

Back